26 June 2010

Reading

Julia decided yesterday that she was going to learn to read a book, The Day Leo Said I Hate You, by Robie H. Harris, illustrated by Molly Bang. Each therapist who has worked with her yesterday and today has to go through the book with her, pointing to each word, some of which Julia knows, some she needs help. I went through the book with her last night before bed with her reading and asking for help. Each time she seems to know a few more words.

Julia's engine is running fast today. She is having a hard time initially focusing on activities with Morgan, today's therapist, and she is speaking very loudly. We are still getting a lot of pulling her shirt over her nose. Sometimes she walks around like that for hours. Sometimes it is for hanging out on the couch. People do stare when we are out. I don't know if Julia notices, but I get that mother bear feeling inside.

David is not feeling well today -- actually, not for a couple of days. Headaches, fatigue, and shortness of breath mostly. At home numbers are not bad at all, but he called the docs. He will see them on Monday. We are both sighing over this one -- our first planned trip since the transplant begins on Wednesday. We will do what we have to do.

Yesterday, I received my acceptance into UW's LEND program for this fall. I will be in school from September to May in an interdisciplinary leadership training course for people interested in becoming leaders in the disability community. I hope to be placed in the intensive autism group which focuses a bit more than usual on the spectrum. I am also hoping to do some individual work with researchers investigating issues of international adoption. I am very excited although I have no idea where it will lead me. There seems to be a pregnancy of possibilities, none of which I can conceive of at the moment.

Last week, I read a post on one of my yahoo groups about an 8 year old, home for a year from China, with absolutely no motivation to learn anything. Her parents have had her tested and when she does participate, there is no show of cognitive disfunction. The school has no idea of what to do with her/for her. In one sense, it is astounding that schools know so little. Are all cases really isolated? Or do most kids sooner or later catch up, or not?

No comments: