18 June 2010

Mostly for Traci because she had commented: Thank for just being there sometimes. There are no answers, only abiding.

I don't know what happens to Julia's EIP or school services if I homeschool. Some of the reason why I can't just jump into it.

Interesting comments for me have come from her therapists. I have mentioned home schooling to our attachment therapist and to our intensive therapists, including the phychologist who oversees Julia's intensive program. All have encouraged me to do it. They see no down side. Generally, when I have mentioned it to teachers, they have discouraged me.

I do like the more relaxed Julia that I am seeing these days. And our med doc told me yesterday that he doesn't think that any of the new calmness that I am seeing since school has been out could be from the anti-depresant. He said it was much too soon to see any results. So, is it because she is home based? I am not forcing any school work, although I make her follow our rules of finishing art work, signing her art, and putting her toys away. So, her life is not completely without stress.

Right now, Julia is in the away room, looking at dinosaur pictures and videos on the web with David. She is in heaven!

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

If I can help, let me know. I am currently homeschooling an autistic child and have a daughter who was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at age 3. She "no longer qualifies for this diagnosis" as the report said. She is 18 now and a homeschool graduate.
I have other children who are ADHD, OCD and with a host of LD's. It is like alphabet soup at my house! :)

Jeff and Madeline said...

Most studies suggest there is only benefit from well managed homeschooling until the high school years and then it is only seen as not as effective in terms of socialization for the workplace--highly disputed by the way unless the child is not moving on to college as high school teaches the workplace mentality.

Home education is not the "fringe" decision it once was and there are so many types of home education that homeschooling as a term does not represent a homogenous group.

Wishing you the best! It sounds like you have your answer already. As a college prof. and former education major, I can tell you that a lot of educators do not understand homeschooling. They also have an investment--their jobs. Take the advice from the professionals in relation to your child individually--namely you.

Good luck!

Traci said...

I know that our girls are far from each other in their struggles but I just have to comment. As I mentioned, they have put V on an antidepressant. The first day I saw a change; loving, calm, easy, almost flowing through her day. I know enough to know that this was far too soon to think that it was the medication and I too came to the conclusion that it was Valerie without the stress of school. She doesn't want to homeschool but I believe we could drop medication without traditional school. She is so much more relaxed.

Just an observation that we are walking a similar, yet very different (I realize) walk.

Traci