11 July 2008

Movies

We went to see Wall-e tonight. Julia is still pretty reluctant to go to the movies with us. She loves watching movies cuddled up on couch at home. She can watch whole movies if we let her, but the theater scares her. I am not sure why. It could be the cavenous building that echos, the big posters and oversized candy counter. It could be the dark theater, and I am sure that it has something to do with the few minutes of Spiderman that she saw a year or so ago. Still, we have had so many good movie experiences and have seen a bunch of good movies, and yet, it is hard to convince her prior to when the movie begins that it will be a good experience. Tonight, we lured her into movie and onto my lap. We made it through the coming attractions and the movie started. Wall-e is such a gentle movie and so sweet that Julia did not need more convincing. She did tell David once and me once that it was time to go home, but each time she settled herself back into a lap and was content again.

Story short, she enjoyed Wall-e, and talked about it all the way home.

My newest reading is The Connected Child, by Karyn Purvis (and others). It is about adopted kids with troubled backgrounds who have special behavioral or emotional needs. The topic is sensory intergration deficit, and reading the descriptions reminds me so much of Julia. I would rather not play the game of re-diagnosing her, but I will figure out what the differences in treatment would be.

No comments: