15 July 2008

Matching Games!

Julia and I have been working with very, very simple matching cards. She had absolutely no interest in these and hated when I brought out the cards up to a few months ago. These, and any games were of absolutely no interest and, I am sure, boring to her. Then I noticed that during Julia early morning TV watching, there is occasionally a spot on matching a very easy six square board. Julia first ignored it and then started paying attention. At the same time, some of the Starfall.com (our ABC site) letter exercises on the computer have a similar very easy matching game that Julia began to understand and almost enjoy. We also use her matching cards in a modified game -- I put six cards down and have the matching cards in my hands. I describe that is on the card in my hand and she identifies the cards using the pictures in front of her.

Yesterday, at speech therapy, Carol took out a matching bear game and Julia played it like it should be played! She turned over two cards at a time and even remembered where a few of the cards were to make matches. She still needs help to not turn over more than two at a time, but the exciting thing was that she was very excited when she got a match. I think that more matching games are in our immediate future!

No comments: