06 July 2008

I am waiting for the urge to report and share this weekend, but I think I better just start writing. It is sunday and Julia and I are doing "Q" work this late morning/ early afternoon. She is sitting and doing work pretty consistently for at least 30-40 minutes. Lots of drawing and coloring in that work but also follow directions, naming letters and sounds, tracing over letters, and copying letters. Her copying letters still needs my direct help -- saying the letter and pointing to where to put it -- and these letters are not on the bottom (of 3) writing lines, sometimes not in the correct order, and would be impossible to read, but they are getting better. I can see improvement over three weeks.

Julia and I spent the afternoon swimming. Last year, I was Julia's only playmate in the water. This summer, Julia likes to try to play with other kids. On Friday, she was able to find a little boy who splashed and chased her, and she did the same. Not all kids take to Julia direct manner of speaking and invasion of their space, and so some kids shy away when she approaches, but she tries nevertheless. Her stamina is to be admired. I was never that brave. She remains a people person without the proper skills, but she will figure them out. We have an appointment for an assessment at a clinic which could provide intensive ABA services to Julia (if and when our turn comes up). This clinic also has social groups for high functioning autistic kids. I am hoping that Julia can get into one of those groups. I am not very good at social leading and modeling -- I could use some coaching myself. A class would also provide other kids. I didn't think that would be such a big deal, but I have no been very successful in finding kids who would be willing to socialize with Julia.

Julia has a rash all over her body! Ugh! Poor kid, she is incredibly itchy. Yes, I gave her some oral and topical meds, but I had to stop brushing her and she is still uncomfortable. I am guessing that it is either the sun screen or the bug spray. I put her in long pants today and hope that she will not roast at camp. A few chemical-free days would be a blessing. Anyway, I think so. We had this same rash last year, and it went away before we could get the appointment at the doc. Of course, there was no answer on what it was but it was the same time of year and similar circumstances.

Now for the weekend!

Marcia and Matthew came up for the Fourth, and Matthew's aunt and uncle from Chicago were also visiting Madison. We had a very nice dinner that I so enjoyed cooking. The dessert -- this chocolate raspberry creation (just copied from epicurious.com) was a great hit. Julia and Matthew almost licked their plates clean and asked for seconds. The rest of us just wished we could fit another bite into our over extended tummies. I miss planning and hosting little get togethers and bigger parties. It is time!

On Saturday, we had a fun Wisconsin day. Julia's swimming lesson, followed by the Madison Farmer's market, good pizza, a trip to Baraboo to visit the circus world museum, and out to eat.

Julia's swimming lesson went very well -- better than most others. She is getting to do more and more of the activities that her instructors ask her to do. I hope this continues. I have gotten lazy about going over her lessons when I take her swimming. I know it helps, and I have to pick it up again.

We spent the afternoon at Circus World in Baraboo, about an hour north of Madison. Baraboo was the home of the 5 Ringling brothers of circus fame. The museum is a great place for adults and kids. We saw two shows -- a small circus and a wild west show. Julia got to ride a camel and an elephant, and also to eat pink cotton candy for the first time. (Cotton candy use to be a once a year treat for Cheshire, and I think the same rules will apply with Julia.). There was a great history and poster exhibit that we breezed through (another time, I will get to read the entire thing), an animal tent, and very cool costume and wagon exhibits. The whole campus sits on the banks of a lovely running brook and the small town of Baraboo is just around the corner. Charm -- real, not manufactured -- just oozes from every flower bed. Julia did very well because the spectacle and sound was on human level. She can take a good deal of stimulation now, but the mega-stimulation of big movies, and I am sure big theme parks (although we have not attempted one of these) is just too much.

Kinda funny thing -- There was a lot of shooting during the wild west show and after the show when the performers came out to meet the audience, Julia scolded one of the cowboys for shooting, making noise, and hurting other cowboys. He promised he would try to be better!

Julia also was able to meet Annie Oakley. She was pretty much in heaven. I think looking for a book about Annie is in order.

And just to note, while we were feasting and visiting this weekend, our intrepid Cheshire was also doing some historical visiting of her own. She attended the International Hot Dog Eating Contest held on Coney Island every year since 1916. (The link is to a new article if you want to see picture -- of hot dog eaters, not of Cheshire.) Nice to see her furthering her education and exploring NYC on her days off.

No comments: