22 January 2009

Almost freezing

The temperature is forcasted to get to 30 today. That is, 30 above zero!

Today in the playground, Amy told me that Julia told her all about the dentist. And from Amy's description, Julia did! It is not easy for me to get Julia to tell me stories about school, or for me to get Julia to tell David stories about what she and I did during a day. I am very impressed that Amy can do this AND so happy that Julia is doing it. She is developing a past that she can deal with and enough communication skills to really communicate.

I didn't write about how well Julia did at the dentist. I was so very impressed with her even though I don't think that the dentist was. He is a pediatric dentist but his patience does not impress me. Maybe it was just a bad day for him. He spoke to Julia sharply once and she listened. I didn't really like it but I did not say anything. If he does it again, I will. The dental assistant who cleaned Julia's teeth was great. She worked quickly, efficiently, and talked the whole time. She told Julia what she was doing, explained the instrucments she used (Julia did not like the little pick) and answered Julia's questions. Julia was immediately concerned that she was getting a shot, and the DA put that to rest.

One interesting thing, kids get to pick a prize from the prize drawer at this dentist. Julia had fund picking but could not decide between two lizzards (one with dots and one with stripes -- what a choice!). The DA would have let her have both but she had said the Julia could have one, and I stepped in and made Julia choose and put the second one back. Not easy for her but her behavior was very good.

My forced eye contact with Julia a number of times a day is doing something. I am not sure what but I see changes and Julia is stuttering again. It is more than ironic that Julia's big leaps are presaged by her stuttering. Who ever thought that I would be happy to hear her stuttering?

This morning, when Julia hit the playground one of her classmates, Rowan, came up to her and said hello. Julia said hi and went to hug her. Hugs are not easy with the amount of clothes they have on these days. Julia asked to hold Rowan's hand and the two went off together. Did that ever look good!

The invitation letters for our social skills group go out today and tomorrow. I hope we garner the interest that we need. We are so close to making it happen.

Today is our first attachment therapy appointment. I am so looking forward to it but I am trying to still my expectations. I go over the list in my head about what I would like this therapy to resolve -- if we could work on Julia's anger, if we could work on her impulsivity, if we could work on her attention. I find myself trying to imagine a Julia who trusts more and who is more able to concentrate. I don't want to expect too much. This is a tough one for me.

No comments: