15 January 2009

Expectations of a free day

Cold, cold, cold. We expect to get up to -12 without the wind chill. I am not sure what the temperature was when they cancelled school, but wind chills brought the temperature down to -30 this morning. So strange that the sun is out and expected to shine all day.

Julia and I went upstairs for bed last night right after dinner -- which Julia did not eat. She was supposed to do home work with me but she told me that she was too tired to do work. When I gave her the choice between a bit of work and a movie about animal or bed, she wanted bed. We went upstairs, did the bedtime ritual, and turned off the light around 7. It took her a long time to go to sleep and so by the time she fell asleep, so had I. I slept until David woke me up to come to our bed and then slept through the night. I guess Julia and I both needed that much sleep.

Julia really didn't say that she didn't feel well until we were ready to go to bed and then she could not tell me what didn't feel well. Maybe it was just tired. Julia doesn't really show she is tired. Oh, I hope that she is able to relax more and more and be able to act tired at home.

I keep planning to clean my desk and just keep adding to the paper pile in there. That whole room needs a revamping since it was set up last summer. Perhaps Julia and I can attack it today. I am hoping to get her to do some drawing and painting.

Julia now has 26 sight words. She doesn't always recognize them in books, but we are working. We have enough to use them to make simple sentences. I have also divided them according to part of speeh and have her repeat what are the pronouns, verbs, prepositions, etc. But what are words like no and not. I don't remember at all. What would Sister Ruth say about that?

Another task today, and a most important task, is to make cupcakes for tomorrow's big day. Julia will be 8 tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Big, Big, Big Happy Birthday to our friend, Julia!!

Love,
Valerie, Kevin, Jaden, Yitong, Traci & Scott

norie said...

hi suzanne...not is an adverb(modifies the verb)...no can be used a bunch of ways...an interjection, an adjective...yes, i am a dork school teacher!

happy birthday julia!!!

norie