03 January 2009

Hey teacher -- I am here, I am here!

Ummm, I have the holiday blues! Cheshire leaves tomorrow and I have no idea what we should do today. We did some shopping for her yesterday -- not that shopping is a sacred activity that we do together but more a necessary evil wherein immediate needs get filled. Her immediate needs are full. We have cuddled on the couch, had a few heart-to-hearts, and solved the problems of the world. During this time, Julia has revolved around us like a constant moon, and her behavior has deteriorated as the vacation slips by. Most kids with attachment disorders or sensory issues or on the autism spectrum have their worst behavior admidst the hustle and bustle of the holiday crazies. Julia thrives on the excitment of glitter and gifts -- is this some huge sringe of adrenalin for her? -- it is this time of transition -- coming down from the holidays and moving into our old day-to-day -- that is really hard. She bucks getting back to our scheduled activities, she arches her back and roars -- only partially metaphorically -- at our writing a schedule and actually accomplishing it. She would play with her most comfortable toys ALL DAY LONG in last night's pjs and wild hair. Her voice is loud and she talks in lines from her favorite movies and books. And I have a very hard time cajolling her out of this. I enter into her play more, we pretend for long, long times and move the tiny plastic animals from the town to the house to the hospital to the theater. And I hope that I am doing what is good, what will help her, what is as educational as possible -- engagement, even on her terms. Is this just where I should be? I am certainly ready for a teacher -- you know, when the student is ready . . .

No comments: