27 January 2009

Skating

Good news: Julia did pretty well. It was hard and she slipped around some. We used a little walker and she scooted around the lake with little trouble. She is mostly shuffling but getting in some gliding as well. This was a class skating arty and Julia loved being there with kids and teachers that she knew. She and another little sprite from her class, Cynthia, who was also wearing skates for the first time, suffled, stepped, and glided around. Falling, at times, but learning to get up and start again. I was very excited to see that Julia did not lose her enthusiam even though it was hard. She perservered and seemed to really enjoy the trial and error learning. By the time we came in, she was really cold and rosey.

Bad news: After getting Julia on the ice and making sure one of her teachers would watch her, I put on skates. I have not been on skates for a few years, but not that long. I took a few steps and about three feet from the side of the lake, my feet went out from under me and I landed very hard on my butt. I went further back, hit my head on the ice and saw stars.

Tonight, I am stiff and hurting and getting a lot of couch time. I hope it is better tomorrow.

3 comments:

Joy said...

oh no! Feel better soon!

Joy

Elaine said...

Heh! I had a similar encounter with the ice not long ago (yes, in the tropics). Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this entry? Sorry you were hurt. Seeing stars is kinda' scary!

Traci and ice don't go together. Apparently, this year, Suzanne and ice weren't best friends either. :-( Bummer. Hopefully you're feeling better by now.

Traci