08 January 2009

Playing

I met with Cathy and Dana, principal and autim expert, at Julia's school this morning, and we talked more about our social skills group. Admittedly the latest word from PTO pres was that our revamped proposal would be considered next week and if it didn't get enough support, we could always submit it next year. Julia needs this group now -- and the other kids that we will invite -- Yeah, I am all about Julia. Can't help it, but the need is there. So there.

I am carefully reading what will become our group's bible, Peer Play and the Autism Spectrum, and nodding as I go. Growing up a very shy child, I did not play with enough kids. I was awful at initiating or approaching kids at school (never had a friend in grammar school), but managed better with kids of my parent's friends. With the N's and the K's, visiting one or another home, I played with the girls. I had a great immagination and used it to the fullest. Reading as I am now, I see how important that was. So, although I was not good at making school friends, I did make full use of the children that our lives put in my path. I also played a lot with my brother until he discovered that he was a boy and should be playing only with boys.

Julia's play has grown and changed since she has been home. She did not know what to do with toys in the beginning, and as she learned, it scared me at times because her play with always so violent. When we gave her dolls, she set them up like an orphanage, mirroring her experience, and after awhile of playing diapering, cuddling, and putting to sleep, she lost interest. She did not play with one doll, one baby. She was interested in dressing her dolls for awhile -- and I wonder now if that had something to do with her having her own clothes and choices of clothes. Then, she drifted away from playing with dolls and last spring I put away all of the dolls, waiting for her to ask for them. She never has.

Her interests have always been with animals -- dinosaurs first, animal miniatures, and Little Pets. With all of these her play has gone from fighting and killing games to more often family games. Because we have dinosaurs in different sizes, family groups are easily made. She plays running away or the baby being taken. David and I are called on often to manipulate and play the mommy or daddy dino who rescues the baby or chases the run away to bring her home. Very recently, she has been asking one of us to play with her and the Little Pets. The Pets put on shows or line up to go somewhere or get hurt and have to go to a hospital.

I have not seen her do this kind of play with other children. I do have great hopes for our school group.

No comments: