28 January 2009

small doings

A few days ago Julia told me that one of her pets was best friends with another of the pets. She has been talking about friends, brothers, and sisters among her pet (LPS) often. I noticed, wondering where it came up -- Julia is very open about the issues she is working on. Sure enought, yesterday, once my head cleared, Christy told me that Cynthia, the skating whizz, has been saying that Julia is her best friend. Oh, if I could only get inside Julia's head and find out what she thinks about this. Then again, if she could just talk about it . . .

David is getting frustrated with Julia's answer when she doesn't want to answer our questions. She say, "don't talk!" Rather rude and it is rather effective at halting conversation. I suggested that we try my meeting of the eyes with this as well as when she gets angry.

Getting to school this morning, I loaded Julia in the car and she was telling me I was stupid. Here I am half in the car, getting the seat belt on with my painful butt hanging out in the cold. I took up her face and started counting, making her meet my eyes as much as I could. She hit me, I started counting again (and only to 10). As I got closer to 10, she pinched my cheeks. I started again. This went on for awhile. I think I started over at 1 at least 6 times. Then we kissed and she was ready to go to school. HOWEVER, my poor aching butt had been hanging out in the cold all that time and boy, was it hard to stand up. LOL.

I do feel better today and I am hoping that the hot bath I am going to treat myself to will also help. That ice was sure hard!

One more thing, although we get frustrated when Julia tells us to keep quiet, she is making an attempt to answer more questions. Interestingly, even when she does not know the answer. This is something that she would have never done last year. David asked her a question about the name of a fairy this morning, and we could watch Julia think about it. She did not come up with the answer until David prompted her, but she was actively trying.

2 comments:

Jen said...

HI Suzanne,
Glad to hear you are feeling better! We certainly don't "bounce back" as easily as we used to...........do we?!! This must be how you feel up in Madison........we have 12" of snow here today!! YUCK!!!! Tell Julia hello for us.

Keri said...

Just introducing myself since I am following your blog! Found you via a search for fellow adoptive moms of children with RAD, etc. Your daughter is beautiful! Love the momth to month photos :)