03 November 2009

Domestic Goddess

So today, I am feeling like a domestic goddess -- a rare feeling but one that needs to be celebrated every so often. I dug up canna bulbs and cleaned them. They are sitting on newspaper on the kitchen floor right now for a final drying before being put away until next spring. Living anywhere south of here, they would be outside drying, but we are getting pretty cold at night and the bulbs can easily freeze.

Tomorrow, planting daffs and tulips, I hope.

I cooked a lovely African soup/stew with tomatoes, garbanzo beans, coconut milk, peppers, and favored with curry, onions and garlic. And a few cups of cooked rice. Very fall, very hardy. Julia had two bowls.

Julia helped me bake banana bread -- two big loaves with the bananas that I bought for church school snack. Too many banana to throw out and too ripe to eat. Julia loved mashing the bananas and mixing. She also like to open the oven to look at the bread as it rises. I turned on the over light for her to see into the over through the window but she says she can't see as well as when she opens the oven. Whenever Julia helps me in the kitchen, I have the feeling that she spent time working in the kitchen before she came to us.

Julia had a great day today in school -- all smile on her daily chart. She also had more to say about her day and it was not just telling me that she hates reading and math. We didn't have any therapy today (a change in the team), a pretty rare occurrence these days. Julia and I hung out together after school, besides cooking, we did reading and writing work (Julia has been not been so willing to write at school these days). I hope that if we work on writing some, she will have more confidence at school. I see that so many times, Julia is scared to do things she does not think she does well. She makes a fuss, gets angry and frustrated and acts out, when actually she is afraid to try to do something that she thinks is hard.

Oh, my girl.

No comments: