04 November 2009

Morning has broken. I've been cursing the return to standard time since the weekend, but this morning I like the morning light and last night the cozy feeling of closing up the house at dinner time.

We have breakfast with me typing away and Julia looking at a spider book and making appropriate comments. Nurturing a kid's interest is amazing -- I would have never investigated spiders, or dinoaurs, or worms, and yet, they are so interesting. She is going to have to find out that the whole mommy and daddy thing is not important to all animals but for now she names families in all pictures. Julia is caling me mama all the time. I could probably our attachment by what that child has called me.

Another thing that works with her. Julia gets angry at me for anything and everything. Her anger still outstrips the reason for it. She steams when I tell her to pick up those socks that she has left on the floor, or to hurry with putting on her coat. She will then hurl words that describes what she would do to me -- spit at me (a favorite), hit my nose, stomp on my feet, or run away. I have been asking in return if I should spit at her, hit her nose, etc., and she is firm that she does not want that to happen to her. Do unto others -- what it take to teach the old lesson. I hope that one day, I can turn it around to the kind and gentle things as often as I have to ask about those awful punishments these days.

No comments: