05 November 2009

more domestic goddessing

Taking a break from cleaning kitchen cabinet and draws. How have they gotten so messy! I started re-arranging for our Thanksgiving feast and realized that a good cleaning out was what was necessary. There has never been enough room for all our kitchen/dining room stuff in this house and then this summer I added some more stuff that I brought home from my mom's house. Can I say to the kitchen cabinet designer in my future, "look at all of my stuff and design cabinets that it will all fit in plus 15% more space for the future."? Our Indianapolis house did not have a dream kitchen by any means but it had lots of storage for dishes and pots and sundries. I just flashed on Little House on the Prairie when Laura and Mary got their own spoons for Christmas. I guess storage was not that much of a necessity then. But no, I do not want such simplicity. I really love kitchen stuff and having enough plates for a big dinner party and wine glasses to spare.

A simple miracle which has also inspired kitchen cabinet cleaning -- my dishwasher has decided to come to life!!! Maybe it needed a rest for a few months? It was dead, really dead this summer. Last weekend, I mentioned having a repair person look at it and David took a look at it first. It turned right on! Well, glory be! I've been running it last night and this morning, cleaning all the plates and glasses that have been gathering dust.

And I am happy. Good that the domestic goddess kicked in this week.

Still, more bulbs to plant this morning. It is a bit of gluttony to order 250 bulbs but the penance fits the sin. Still, I know I will love it next spring.

The handyman is working on our back hall. He builds the cabinet for my storage baskets tomorrow. I should be painting by the weekend. This too, makes me happy. I love painting. He did point out some weak places, places where there were probably leaks, places that may not repair well. Ah, the joys of an old house.

Julia had her first morning dose of drug today. I think she is falling asleep quicker and she has had three very good days at school.

A good friend who is local and who I knew via adoption yahoo groups long before we moved to Madison, read the recent update about David and his new heart and has offered some wonderful support and help. I have fallen behind a bit on my support team building -- Thank you, Cathy, for giving me a nudge!

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Painting can be so meditative.

Good to see the domestic goddess has kicked in.

Laura and Mary with their one spoon.

Good about the bulbs and Julia's sleep cycle.

And the support!

Suz said...

Thinking of writing to you, Adelaide. Then again, would you check in the comments to read this.

Yes, I love painting. I love picking colors and sinking into a rich hue. This time brown and two off whites and I am hoping the space looks clean and delicious when I'm done.

So, tell me something. Where do you live? What do you write? Kids? Partner? Just anything.

S