29 November 2009

Now here is something that I don't like but cannot argue with. The next door neighbors to the Jersey house that was my mother's received a letter a month ago about the oil spill clean up that must be done. The letter asked for their signiture so our clean up company could go on their land -- that is, the front lawn -- to see if the oil from the old oil tank migrated there, where the oil is, and to begin to make plans to clean it up. The neighbors have not returned the letter and have not answered our clean up company's phone calls. I talked to my insurance guy 9 days ago. He told me that they were now trying to get in touch but if I could do something to get in touch that it might help. I called a few times before Thanksgiving and also asked one of my sisters to do the same, as she knew them better than I did. I talked to my sister today, who admitted making many calls, leaving many message, but never talking to the neighbors. The neighbors did not return my two calls either.

I called today in a last ditch effort before I called the insurance guy again tomorrow to tell him that I failed. The answering maching came on and I began to leave another message. I spoke for awhile before the neighbor picked up and complained to me about all the phone messages, taking up her whole machine this weekend.

Now, I don't agree with so many calls. I think we are being rude, but gee, this is what it took to get her to pick up her phone. How many times was she home for the message?

People, people, people!!!

She wants a week to see a lawyer -- I didn't say she already had a month. She assured me she would call back next week. We shall see.

I just hope that she finds a smart enough lawyer who will tell her to go along with what we are doing. It is Jersey law, not our whim. You would think that the neighbors might be inspired by the empty house next to them, which is never good, and the rusty oil tank sitting in the front of the drive way next to their lawn, which could not be attractive. Should I consider stringing some Christmas lights to point out our driveway ornament?

On the other hand, we are adding more time to our process as each day passes. This easy part of getting their signiture has already taken a month. Another month.

No comments: