03 November 2009

November day

I started writing last night about so many other things -- fixing my back hall, cooking, planting bulbs, making compost, and by the way, how Julia was doing. And I just bored myself. I am not even interested in how I do most of those things, or how, or why. Do I really want to remember them or share them with others?

One thing that I can't seem to shake is that as I was walking the dog last night and thinking about how I can make my tiny back hall into a mud "room" and as useful as it can be. I was trying to remember where I used to hang my winter coat as a kid. My parents house had no mud room or conventient closet by the back door. I don't think our coats were hung in the front hall closet which was also small. Did we really put all our coats in the basement? I know we hung them there when it was wet and snowy, but all the time? I have absolutely no memory of what I did for years and years as a child! How appalling!

Today is one of the golden fall days -- a bit cold, but sunny and without wind. My plan is to dig up canna and put in daffs and tulips, and then sit back and imagine my spring riches!!!

Oh, and put away and/or compost the Halloween decorations. I want to do that with Julia so she understands how we change seasons and holidays. She is very much into reciting the order of the holidays right now, including her birthday which comes after Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think her list of desired gifts is going to as long as any child born in the USA. She is understanding an awful lot.

Julia had a good morning today, a relatively good day yesterday, and really good sessions at her OT and speech therapist yesterday. I don't know whether to attribute her attention to the two games that she did with these therapists to the drug or whether she was just in a good mood. The bad days of a few weeks ago are almost gone, and her speech is much more fluent again. She was able to tell me yesterday that she did not want to go to speech because she was scared -- her therapist there is new. She is also continuing to try to read whenever appropriate which is really so great. She did seem a bit tired at speech yesterday but she was zinging off the wall around bedtime. She is sleeping well as usual and is always ready to wake up. One effect of this drug is sleepiness. So far we are not seeing it interfering with her days, and it would be a good thing if Julia could relax before bed.

We start the full dose of medication on Thursday -- .5 mg twice a day.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Glad that the medicine is so small. I know that Ritalin can be powerful stuff!

Sounds like a good November Autumn Day.

Will be good to catch up with Julia's birthday. So it's on the 15th or thereabouts?

Did appreciate your "Rosa Parks" response much.

And the daffodils and tulips.