16 February 2010

Cheshire is home for the week! Yipee! So nice to have my girl to talk to and hang out with. This is/was Cheshire's birthday present to me. What could be better! Better was today when she got me to the Y -- If she can get me there at least one more time this week, I will meet my paulty twice a week goal that I've been failing at.


Oh, the trials of being fat. Why can't I just give Julia a few of my pounds?

I wish I could get someone to perscribe Aderrall for me! I could probably lose any and all appetite pretty quickly -- at least to judge by Julia. We cannot tempt her with favorite food, enriched food, or CHOCOLATE! Getting her to finish a small bowl of ice cream is a chore. This side effect of the Aderrall has diminished once she gets use to the meds before. I hope it does the same this time and soon. I have heard that we could take Julia off the drug on the weekend and see if her appetite improved, but I don't want to play with her head so much. What does it feel like to be able to concentrate one day but not the next? I don't mean to insinuate that Julia knows the kind of effect the meds have on her, but to switch the pills out when she is not at school seems unfair to her. This is something that I know nothing about and should research.

Later: Julia had a decent food day today! She was hungry for breakfast and ate cereal with milk and a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. She did not eat much of her lunch, but had a good dinner. We are getting some Ensure into her each day which also helps.

Julia is talking about being born in China. She says she was a baby in China and she waited there until her parents -- that's us -- came and found her. She asks me whether she was in my tummy before she was born and I can tell she knows the answer. I tell her that she was not, and she asks about Cheshire. I tell her that Cheshire was in my tummy and that another mommy in China carried her. She considers this and does not comment. Then, I tell her that I wish that I had known her when she was a baby, and how, if I had, I would have scooped her up and taken her home to hold her and feed her and keep her warm and happy. We've gone through this conversation twice now and by the end she is just listening but does not comment.

I found some Wicki sticks to buy for Julia -- they are also called bendables. They are waxed plastic sticks that are bendable and stick to each other. They come with directions to make two dimentional objects and 3 dimentional things. Julia did the two dimentional stuff yesterday with Ellen and today she and Stephanie madea whale and a mermaid, both three dimentional. Julia did a good job at working cooperatively with her therapists and she followed directions.

2 comments:

Jill W said...

I had that same conversation with Bethany. She came home from China last May at almost 10 yrs old. We discussed how she was not in my tummy, but in my heart. For Christmas, my husband gave me a necklace from http://www.etsy.com/shop/junkposse It is the born in my heart one. I had both girls initials stamped on the back. Bethany comments every time I wear it. At one point, she said she was sad she was never in my tummy, but she is glad she is in my heart.

Suz said...

I think that Julia is sad that she was not in my tummy too, but I wonder if she thinks she can still change the story. I am very thankful that she will talk at least a little bit about China. She has been home with us for 3.5 years and finding anything good about China apart from food is a very recent development.