27 February 2010

Seven characters

Julia has been pretty tough on the therapists yesterday and today. Just staunchly in her NO frame of mind. I spent about 45 minutes holding her this morning during a therapy session to get her calmed down to a place where she could play.

If only I could get inside that head!

Still working on the life book. I am using every picture I have of her early life to put together this much simpler than I thought I would do book. I hope to answer and raise some questions that are coming up now. I find it hard to write only about her or from just her perspective -- mainly because I have so little information to use. I can write about the history of the one child policy, orphanages and abandonment, and our paper chase, but that is not relevant to her now. So it goes slower than I expected but I am pleased with the pages I have finished. The tension between word and pictures feels important. I cut and add frequently.

But I am not going to work on it for 6 months. Another week perhaps. Biggest snag right now, my computer is dying. Well, dead right now. The quick fix of two weeks ago was just that -- quick but not complete. I don't want to spend any more money on it. It may be time to give in and buy a new laptop.

I was scanning the short note that was said to have been found with Julia. I am overwhelmed by the fact that this copy of a note with 7 characters and a few numbers on it is the closest link I have to her birth family. I want to translate the entire thing. I have the rough translation that it says what day she was born on, but I want to squeeze those 7 characters to find out if there is anything else. How I would love something else about her parents. I can't expect it, but to even here that the characters are written with a fine hand, a messy hand, or someone who really couldn't write well, might be something.

Although I thought carefully when we first talked about adoption and how I did not want an open adoption of any sort, I find that I was totally wrong.

2 comments:

Traci said...

Yea, wishing you had more also.

Do you need Yitong to look at the note? I'm sure I'm interpreting correctly and you do, in fact, have the whole translation but you just wish there were more. But I am thrown off a little by the term "rough translation" that you used. Let me know if you need her to translate any of it.

Do you think it's authentic? I've heard that so many were fabricated by the director. Just curious as to your thoughts.

Traci

Elaine said...

The open adoption thing? Me too. Completely. I'd give everything I have for my girls to know, just to know.