05 February 2010

ear plugs, meds, and all smiles on the behavior chart

Yesterday, we were a bit late for school. The bell had rung when we got to school and kids were lining up and filing inside. This means that we could not avoid the noise of locker and kids as we walked into the building. I told Julia this in the car and she immediately became fearful of the noise. She was not even in the school building yet, but her fear was switched on. For a new minutes she was unable to hear me offering some suggestions, she was in high fear. I have seen her do this many times before and as bad as I feel for her, it is utterly frustrating. I have, when she was smaller, picked her up and carried her to a "safer" place. But is is almost impossible to move her from the spot of fear both physically and mentally. This is a fear beyond on flight or fight, it is standing still and waiting for the worst of the evil force to desend.

I had my trusty ear plugs in my handbag and so I offered for Julia to wear them walking into the building. At first she was not able to listen. I said it over and over, I got right in her face and told her that I was going to help her with this thing she was so afraid of. I was amazed when she listened and had me put in the ear plugs. She actually trusted me that much to listen through her fear.

With the ear plugs, Julia was able to go into the building. It was still loud but it must have been much softer than usual. She did not stop and actually managed to rush up the stairs to her classroom, something that she just doesn't do when she is afraid. She took off her outer clothing and then took out the ear plugs and was able to peaceable begin her day.

Yahoo!!!!!!

We went to our medication doc yesterday. I was armed to insist on change and a follow up appointment sooner than 2 months from yesterday. I got both, helped by a supervising doc who was overseeing my resident doc. Julia will see the doc in 3 weeks. She will be on 10mg of extended release Adderall given once a day, and .5 mg of guanfacine given twice a day.

We will do the transition this weekend to see how she does.

Julia did go to school yesterday with no medication at all because the doc wanted to see her medicated and we didn't see him until 3:30. I gave her the medication while we were at Marilyn's and really watched her come down from a pretty high state to very comfortably arranged in a chair. I have not noticed this change quite so dramatically, but I think that Julia is naturally in a more active mind mood later in the day, so the change in the morning is subtle. I had warned her teachers that she would be at school without meds, but of course, Julia had a stellar day yesterday. She has had a pretty good week with 3 great days, so she was in a good grove, but just why can she sometimes keep it together and sometimes not.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I do wonder sometimes!

An adult autistic woman, who is an artist and working in the gardens of her state, has taken Adderall recently too.

And it's GREAT that she listened through the fear.

The whole doom thing.