02 February 2010

My girl is such a discovery every day. Today, we did not have therapy, and so, we went shopping for more stuff with which to make valentines. She enjoyed doing errands with me today -- decided to get bunny ears at the dollar store, talked to the guy at the dry cleaner, loved picking out a new chapstick at the drug store, and said Ni Hao at the Chinese Restaurant where we picked up some dumplings to go with my beef and broccoli. Tonight, she took a bath and rattled on about growing up -- she has gone from never ever growing up to wondering about being a teenager, about being a bride, and a grandmother. She is not interested in being a mother right not but a grandma would be good. She doesn't want white hair and will make her hair turn black if her hair turns white. She doesn't want to die soon and wants her Dad and I around for a long time. Maybe so that we can be grandmas together. She is thinking that she wants to become a teacher so that she can yell at kids. And she loves her long hair.

And none of this was Julia Squirrel, Julia bat, or Julia dinosaur. It was all just her as the human being that she is.

Ummmm.

I decided that this year Julia and I were going to make our valentines. This is something I always wanted to do with Cheshire and never found the time. Tonight, I was making and Julia was writing the names of her classmates and signing, Love, Julia. If we do a few every few days, we should have enough by Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Respect for the aged!

(Granted, that is a Japanese celebration, but in East Asia, there are many positive representations of the old).

Adelaide Dupont said...

And it was last year that you were doing the 'growing up' post and describing the games with dinosaurs and when she played baby.

Did some reading about Nia Hao. It is a series of innovative textbooks and software.

Suz said...

Julia is fascinated with old people and I think that she must have had some contact with them when she was in China. She wants to feel an older person's skin and talk about their wrinkles and marks. This is usually very embarassing to the old person and I have to tell her to back off. A few people have let her explore and ask her questions and she remembers them well.

It is not surprising to me to hear where we were last year. Julia does not stand still -- although backward movement is always possible. Last night gave me a glimpse of possiblity. How to explain -- Julia is developing a past and future and not locking herself into a present.

Tell me about Nia Hao.

Traci said...

So you're suggesting that waiting until the last minute for Valentine's isn't the best approach? Okay, I'll take your lead. Thanks! :)