21 July 2010

The hardship department

I profess my willingness of going through the process of grief and finding this new life of mine, but really, I want it all over with. And nothing is going to happen quickly -- not the grief, not the estate matters, nothing.

So there is the brick wall and I am scraping my nose on it.

I finally got to talk to a person at the mortgage company, who told me that I could not refinance my mortgage right now because I did not have a job. I told her that I wanted to reduce my monthly payout, but of course, that is not enough. They will let me keep paying the mortgage that I am paying now. I can even talk to the "hardship" department -- boy, can you hear the attitude. In fact, (okay I am be paranoid and a bit sensitive today) when I told her that I was not working, I could hear 360 change. No more was I the grieving widow. I could speculate what I had become in her eyes, but I will not, because I can only be sure of the change, not the reason. But the change was not good. Suddenly, I became someone she did not want to help at all. Was I too far out of her box? Was my "not working" status just too far from her ken? Had I become a financial leper?

And she knew "nothing" of what goes on in that Hardship department. Could not answer my questions about . . . . well, nothing that did not fit in the regular refinance mold. Really, are they that narrow? Or is it that those in that department grow that extra tough skin, those dinosaur plates on their backs. What the hell happened to the help that banks are supposed to be extending these days? When I asked if I had to miss two mortgage payments before I could get any help, her only answer was that she would never suggest missing a mortgage payment.

Once again, like the Bank of American Master Card, the PNC Mortgage Company, with whom our family has taken three mortgages and paid without a whisper of a complaint, does not feel that it needs to extend itself to me.

I read this over and almost laugh at myself -- well, if I fell out of the most favorite kind of customer category, why should anyone care, especially those who have been making the most money from me, touch me with a 10 foot pole. How I adore capitalism. I know it is not personal; it is only about the money.

"Call when you have a job, or income." The PNC representative said.

Transfer to the Hardship Department, anyone?

2 comments:

bbmomof2boys said...

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with people who are just so mean - and yes - they are being ugly and mean! Take a deep breath, call back, and DEMAND some help. Same thing with BOA - talk to a supervisor and then that supervisor's supervisor and move on up until u get to someone who will listen and talk.

I know that you don't want to deal with this stuff, its hard, something that I just can't imagine dealing with. I'm praying and lifting you up every day!

Many hugs,
Carla

Anonymous said...

This is absurd. This is how a grieving widow is treated. They should be ashamed of themselves. Here you are with such a strong support system yet in the big picture you are a leach.

How dare they treat you my sister like that. I wish there was something I could do.

There is one thing I can do and will. I am writting a letter. A grieving widow should be treated with love and respect not like a leach.
Know I love you,
Carol