24 July 2010

We didn't sleep until 10 but we slept hard. I don't remember turning off the movie but it was off when I woke up.

The day has been slow and not very productive at least in the direction that I had wanted it to go in -- uber packing and some cleaning up before we leave tomorrow. But as two of my friends who called to check in said, the house doesn't need to be clean to leave it. I figure those two calls were close enough to a direct message from the universe, and so I will not stress this.

How many things do I need to learn not to stress about? Certainly, not about ending sentences with prepositions.

Clothes to pack are still on my bed and my last load of clothes is in the dryer but a new computer game is loaded on my laptop for Julia, I've packed the drugs. Oy, I hope everything fits in the two smallish bags I want to take. I am trying to fit everything into two carry on bags -- one with wheels. Now this is usually the way we travel but the wedding clothes -- fluffy dresses -- and extra shoes for that one day might tip the balance.

Enough about packing and cleaning! Is there anything more boring??

I still don't have a place for us to stay on the Isle of Wight, but I have incredible faith it will work out. How could Julia be deprived of a great dinosaur museum?

Julia and I was watching Wall-E right now and I am amazed that she really understands it. When David first brought it home, Julia did not like it. That was a few months ago. Tonight, -- and this is not the first time she has seen it enthusiastically -- she is asking good questions. Like, why the other Wall-Es are not working (you can see them in the beginning sequence), and whether Wall-E and Eva understand each other. And she is very interested in how they become friends -- Eva is first "mean" to Wall-E , she says.

I really like the beginning of the movie but the script is deeply flawed. I wished someone would have harder on the second half.

Julia has been such a little companion today - making me think of the days when Cheshire was this age. We were searching for an Indianapolis house when Ches was 9, no 8, but close enough. She shared my laptop with me, gave me time to review my mother's estate tax form that arrived by overnight this morning (which I mailed this afternoon), and pretty cooperatively did my errands. And she played alone and with me happily, although right now every dinosaur, little pet, and calico critter is on a floor.

Debbie, our lead therapist, came over to gift us with a garden bench from all of the therapists who work with Julia. It was a perfect gift, memorial. I almost cannot believe its appropriateness. Of course, these women come to our house 25 hours a week and have been doing it for a year now. I smile at my initial incredulity.

I am not excited about traveling. Or packing. Both of these usually fire my imagination like mad. But I am not unhappy about it either. I am just doing it. One step in front of the other.

One step.

No comments: