03 August 2010

A few days in pictures

As I said before, I don't have many wedding pictures. Absolutely none of Cheshire or me, or Alice, the bride! But I do have a few with Julia taken before we sat down for the ceremony. I love this picture. My sweet angel.
And here is one of Alice's uncles paying court to my princess. She looks like she is used to such treatment.
This is a small part of the room that Alice and Jonathan were married in. Leather chairs, cooper covered tables, lovely rugs, fireplaces, and lots of wood. It was a stunning room.
This is one of the last pictures taken with my camera. I did not get the front of the bride, but I captured my friend Harriet, her mom, reading a sonnet just before the vows began. It was very sweet.
On Sunday, we walked all through St Albans' Verulamium Park which was full of families with kids and dogs. Julia had a great time chasing birds and spying tiny ducks. It was quiet, easy and fun. Our brunch at the Waffle House just outside of the Park was delicious -- first time for me to eat savory waffles -- waffles, not really very sweet, with aged cheddar and tomatoes. Delicious!
This is the cathedral.
And my lovely Cheshire.
After our walk in the park, we went to the Rolands' house for tea, sport, and talk. Julia was introduced to a cricket bat. And amazingly, she hit the ball and seemed interested in the game.
Making contact with a ball.
Watching her friend, Catherine, try her hand at that bat.
Today's walk from Sandown to Shanklin and back again took hours and uncovered some interesting views and treasures.
Julia on the high road looking at the sea.
And there are plenty of places to stop to smell of flowers and eat ice cream.
A incomplete picture of the Shanklin Chine or waterfall.
They sure do grow plants bit in the Chine.
Even big for the Cheshire.
Remember that song: "Locklomen" -- you take the high road and I'll take the low road. I have never been somewhere where there actually was a high road and a low road. Here is a lift to get you between the two.
I love this old clock tower in Shanklin.
And it's inscription.
Here is a row of little bath houses that line the beach. My grandmother told me stories of how this kind of little house lined the beaches at Atlantic City in Jersey when she was a young woman. Some of these bath houses are equipped with hot plates, TVs, and rugs and couches. There is quite a little society that seems to go on around them. Sort of like the ice fisherman huts on Lake Monona in Madison.
Cheshire observing the sea, actually a bay right here. I have a series of these that I have to scrap together.

No comments: