24 August 2010

Tippy tables

Feeling like complaining a bit about finances -- nothing is coming together as quick as I want it to. David's tiny Wisconsin pension plan -- tiny because he worked there for only 3 years was the easiest to figure out, the best call in help, and they will actually give me a small annuity for the rest of my life. It is tiny but it is impressive. If David had retired from there in another 10 years or so, we would have had a very nice retirement plan.

Indiana, on the other hand, is hard to figure out, call in help is unorganized and not incredibly helpful. "They" have also lost one copy of the death certificate that I send, and did not get another one that I faxed. I re-mailed today, certified this time, and will call next week to make sure they got it.

As a surviving spouse of a fully vested worker who was not in his Indiana employment at the time of death, there is no pension for me. I will only get what is in his account. We had held onto that account and did not re-invest it because we thought it would be good for a pension for either of us. We should have investigated further. It would have been better to roll it over to our own IRA, Indiana has just had use of our money without giving us much in return.

Ok, I am over it.

I am also rolling over money I have had in an Indiana pension account and from what they tell me, it will take up to 6 weeks for the roll over to happen. All of this is electronically done. I can't believe that it takes so long for verify information.

So, yes, I am still concerned about money. I am trying, trying very hard, but trying to be open hearted about money. I can live for another month or two even if nothing comes in, but I am nervous about dipping into savings. Just nervous. I am trying to live the image of the lilies of the field, and also "work as if it all depended on you . . . . " but I find that kind of trust hard.

I am writing this here, not because I need advice or help or even support really, but because I want to remember how tough financial matters are at this point. I have always worked and been able to be responsible for at least myself and usually a good percentage of bills and maintenance. Now, relying on government money and investment money and little pensions feels life putting soup on an uneven table. But if I want to be following my bliss, I have to set myself up. Tippy table or not, I need to push ahead. I am still a bit scared.

So, okay, I do need a bit of support.

No comments: