20 August 2010

I did it!

Every little victory is a big victory right now.

It is 3:28 my time, 4:28 Abe Martin lodge time. Julia and I are checked into the lodge and waiting for our comrades. It was an easy drive down, even Chicago was not as bad as usual. I could not have done it last night, but today was fine.

I still have this cold, however, and if it does not leave me by next week, it will be doc time.

____________

We had a lovely dinner and chat with two of families who are here for the weekend. It was good to see them, and good to see the children. Julia ran, shared dinosaurs and sat with the other children and not next to me. She even ate the bowl of soup for dinner without fuss or bother. She was a very good girl.

For me, there was a bit of sadness. I watch the children pair off, clumps of them going off to play together. Julia stays with the youngest or she is left behind. These are kind children who include her when they are able but no one suggests that Julia do the sleep over in one family room. And Julia does not know that her friends, as she calls them, were planning such things. This is my sadness, not hers, not yet. How I hope, hope and pray that she grows into a social life before she grows to realize how different she is from other children.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Just from my own experience with Autism, one of its' "gifts" is that our children are so easily happy with any social interaction with other children. The fact that Thomas doesn't get calls from other kids or invited to gatherings never bothers him. He's happy just having friends at school and enjoying his houses online (I swear he is going to sell houses one day). I used to be so sad about what he was missing out on, too. But I guess it's not something that is important to him. And I think I've become okay with that. Usually. :)