14 August 2010

Pesto

Farmers Market, Co-op, looking for lavender, craft store for pipe cleaners, a "u" and an "r", and sheer bags to put the lavender in. Home for a nap, making pesto, giving the girl a bath, and playing with pipe cleaners.

Is this enough for one day?

We are moving slowly.

I bought two small bunches of basil today at the Farmers' Market and made some pesto. A usual August routine, but missing for the last two years. These years are so hard. But I made some into salad dressing and froze little containers for the winter. If I make it twice more, we will have enough until spring. Frozen is not as good as fresh, but frozen is better than anything store bought. And it was always part of our yearly round. And it was something I wanted to do today -- something of the old, something that I want to have again. Something we did not have last winter.

Now, can I put it on rice? Considering the way that Julia is eating rice these days. Almost every meal which is fine but then there is no room for another starch. Or is there?

Still napping, and still with a cold, but I am healing. Not as much coughing today, and hopefully, no cold meds for sleeping tonight. The cold meds make me bleary the next day, but I so need the sleep. Trade off after trade off.

Ah, the other of the day's tasks was the reclaiming of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I did it. No more of David's pill bottles line the shelves -- Actually, he had moved into the desk in Cheshire's room after transplant because there were too many meds for the cabinet, but he had used the cabinet for two years before that for his meds. And my bathroom stuff removed to a basket on my dresser. Now, the bathroom looks like women live here.

Julia is routinely getting dressed herself in the morning and putting on pjs at night. Right now, she is looking for a book to read together before bed. This may be what we can say we learned this summer. It is not a bad thing.

I let Julia have a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast -- I was a bit ashamed. But she had noodles for lunch and a great supper. Saturday breakfast isn't everything.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I let my girls have cookies for breakfast sometimes. No different from a donut or cinnamon roll and people have those all the time. :-)

I have a receipe for freezer pesto. I'll have to try it out.