03 March 2010

2:25

and David is in surgery.

Cheshire is here at the hospital with me.

Nice texts messages from my sister.

The waiting had suddenly changed color. No longer waiting for things to start. Now, I can wait for things to finish. No, not finish just yet. Now, I can wait for the periodic updates. 4-12 hours is the general rule of thumb. In David's case, they are saying 6-10. Still, by tonight. Still, there is an end in sight.

Waiting for a heart was worse than waiting for the end of pregnancy or waiting for our TA -- permission to travel to China -- but worse. Way worse. But now, this wait is like others. Sure it is about David's HEART. A new heart! Incredible to even fathom. But it is a wait that has a beginning and eventually an end.

Cheshire and I are sitting waiting. Chatting about all the inconsequential things of life. I do so value her presence.

So we are sitting waiting chatting, and this guy in a red shirt comes by and asks if I am Suzanne and tells me that David went into surgery. The front desk of the waiting room -- waiting big room -- has my cell phone number, and gave me a restaurant beeper, but this guy knew to ask me who I was.

3:03 Things are going well and they are onto by-pass.

4 comments:

Traci said...

Thank you, Suzanne, for the updates. Hugs to you and Cheshire. Love to all four of you.

I was in a heart surgery once. Only once. The doc told me to call the time when we went on by-pass. Such a surreal feeling. I stood for more than six hours in one spot without moving. I stood in awe! I stood right at this fellow surgeon's head. As a surgeon he was considered "part of the family." More than I ever was. I was merely a student at the time.

Somehow I'm sitting next to you now. Squeezing your hand every once in a while. Waiting quietly. Maybe reading so as not to be a bother. Smiling as I watch you and Cheshire connect.

Thankful for our friendship. So very thankful.

Waiting with you.

Traci

The Transplant Maniac said...

Ugh...wrong button!

Thanks from here also, Suzanne, for the update. All of us in Heart-Beats are keeping you guys in our thoughts an in our prayers. Please keep us posted as to how things are going. I know this is a rough time, but this is the start of a new life for you two, and I have a feeling y'all will be doing some celebrating soon! It's also kinda cool knowing David and I will share the same transplant birthday, only eight years apart.

I'm trying to remember which transplant center you're at; I know there's a at least a few in your area. Please feel free to call if there's anything you need to talk about; I've been through this on a few different levels, and I'm here if you need me, at:

425.463.5954

God bless. You're in our thoughts and in what prayers we make.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
Oh Suzanne, sending you all thoughts and prayers for strength, endurance, healing. Tammi (from Indy Book Group)

Adelaide Dupont said...

Good. Good. Good.

The by-pass is a big thing.

Thinking of you all.

Seems that D's window has narrowed some compared to the usual heart procedure.

Periodic update and texts from mates are good.