12 March 2010

Friday

Big Sigh! Today, was better/ is better. My heart surgery comment-writing friends have told me, and I have read on my own, that the process of healing is very up and down. A good day, a bad day. Lots of pain and then a little relief. Today, we have the relief! And oh, how we needed this day. David is still very weak and his endurance is short. After activity of the early afternoon, he slept deeply for an hour and a half. And that too, deep sleeping, is good too.

David went for two walks today, each longer than all the walking he did yesterday. He is able to order his own meals from room service. I helped him with a sponge bath today -- not the nurse. And David is sitting at his little computer writing email! Food was better today as well -- he ate an entire breakfast, asked for egg salad for lunch, ate homemade -- not at our house -- pumpkin bread for a snack, and drank some ensure. In addition, he no longer is getting oxygen and nitrous oxide. The docs have decided to give David a whole round of Thymoglobulin -- 7 days worth. David gets pre-meds to ease any reaction which has appeared to help. He did get intense chills, but they were short lived.

Aches and pains, heart burn after everything he eats, and a rocky digestive system are still with us, but we have had an easy day. Another step forward.

Just one Julia story before I stop. Last night, Julia and I were in my big bed. Yes, Julia has been sleeping with me since Daddy went to the hospital -- um, she is a regular visitor in our bed and was there when we got the call to go to the hospital. Anyway, even though David is not in bed with us, Julia is taking up the middle of the bed leaving me clinging to my side. Last night, I pushed David's pillow to the way end of the bed. Julia appeared a bit upset and wanted to know if David was in the hospital and if he was in bed. I told her he was sleeping in the hospital. She asked if Cheshire was going to come home to sleep, and I told her that Cheshire was sleeping at the hospital and taking care of Daddy. Julia thought about it a second and smiled, "Cheshire taking care of Daddy, and Julia taking care of Mommy!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And that is what family is all about ;-).

Hugs to yours --

Sharyn

Unknown said...

In the beginning, it's not day to day, but often hour by hour. Especially while still in the ICU. It does and will eventually get easier to cope with the whole ordeal. Right now is a MAJOR adjustment phase. The Dr's and nurses adjusting and tweaking meds and the patient physically and emotionally getting used to these adjustments. It can be an overwhelming, humbling and very emotional process.