10 March 2010

drug reaction

David had a rough reaction to a drug a little while ago.

He was sitting on the side of the bed when he began to get very cold. He started shaking, his lips turned blue-ish, as did his ears. I helped him lay down and called for the nurse. The nurse who is always right outside his room and who was no where to be seen. I did not want to leave David to find someone but I opened the door -- it is amazing to see a floor that always seems to be bustling with people go absolutely dead. I am sure it was no more than a few minutes, if that, before our nurse and another came in with blankets and help. To me it was forever -- what a cliche.

The drug is Thymoglobulin -- Anti-thymocyte Globulin (Rabbit). The website http://www.thymoglobulin.com/. David's reaction was one of the common ones.

The reaction, which we did not know was a reaction at the time, lasted for ten minutes. Although I have been able to handle most of what David's gone through, this was almost too much for me. Clearly, it was not a heart attack or a seizure, but it was David suffering intensely. I could be calm, but very scared as well. This is a med that he will be on daily right now. How is he going to deal with that. Just how?

Of course, this is not chemotherapy. David's reaction, though intense, lasted minutes, not hours, not days.

We are learning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, You are both very strong people and I do know you both can get through this. You have a great deal of patience and I do realize how hard this is. But I also have faith and faith in you and David therefore I know this to will pass. Keep positive thoughts and know you have alot of people praying for both of you. Stay strong and know you are loved. Our love goes to David with lots of prayers as well.

I wish I were closer so I could comfort you both. Anything you need just call me. I will try to contact you latter.
Love, Carol

Drew Pallette said...

Suzanne,
I'm just starting to read your blog. It is wonderful and I wish you luck. I appreciate it because I am waiting for a transplant my self. I am a 61 year old male with heart failure. I've beeen waiting for 11/2 years for a new heart as a Level 2 (Oneg). I am an archaeologist, married with grand kids living in the San Diego area. Your blog is helping me prepare for my transplant. I'm going to try and get my wyfe to read it. I wish you, David and Julia all the best. I plan to read the blog daily.
Drew

Jean186 said...

Hi Suzanne :) I signed up just so I could respond to this.. They would give me the same injection and I would almost pass out! the room would spin and for a good 10 minutes it was like I was in a fog and the last time they gave it to me (day 6) I did black out so I know what you are saying.. It is scary and hopefully it is something that is only given to him a very short time..

I am thinking of you both and hang in there.. I know it is probably the last thing you want to hear but the first year is the worse, so when you get him home enjoy every moment you can away from there.. Coming up on 14 years with my heart (I have had it so long I don't even call it new anymore)I live life for the day and the memories of being at the hospital so much are just a distant memory now and you will be there too soon enough I promise..

Jean U of W Heart t-plant #186