09 March 2010

Tuesday

Well, talk about feeling useless! They -- lots of nurses and staff -- took David downstairs to get his first post-op biopsy and to possibly remove the Swan Line from neck (this IV line allows direct connection to the heart). Once the Swan Line is remove, David will be allowed to move about more freely. It will be good to get him walking. He is still tired and still needs to sleep but he also needs to walk and get exhausted by the effort.

Anyway, here I sit waiting. I did this with my mother once last Spring when they took her for a test and I just sat in her room for hours. Never knowing when she would come back, I did not leave. Life today. I don't feel like it is/was a waste of time, but there is a nothingness about the time. There is a here and now, some worry and concern, and just a dim thought of tonight, later, what I should be making or eating for dinner.

David is doing well enough that Cheshire is thinking of not spending the night at the hospital. She can also use a night's sleep at home. Truly, we are all exhausted. Every time an educator comes in David's room to teach us about post-op care, my eyes begin to close. I know that David's eyes are closing, so these poor women are teaching to half asleep students. It is embarassing! I am sure they have seen it before.

Julia's therapy ends at 6 tonight and so we will have an evening together. I hope that we can eat, do some reading, take a bath, and then get to bed. I should have done all of that a few nights ago and just could not get it together. Hopefully, I will be better tonight.

The result of the biopsy is important to when David will be allowed to come home. Actually, the biopsy is part of his continual care and he will be undergoing them often during his first year with this heart.

The heart biopsy is currently the most conclusive method for detecting rejection and may show a positive result even when all other tests are negative or equivocal. It is a simple procedure which involves removing a tiny piece of heart muscle via a cannula placed in a neck vein under a local anaesthetic. The muscle fragment is examined under a microscope for evidence of the infiltrating cells which cause rejection.


We are hoping for some good results, but I am sure that if the results are not the best, the docs and staff will redouble their efforts to move David's recovery along.

No comments: