08 March 2010

Footnote for today

It is getting warmer outside and the snow is melting -- not gone but melting. I want to rake the lawn but i can't see enough of it. I want to clean the front garden but . . . . okay, more snow. Anyway, I also want to chance the header of the blog because it feels like February instead of March, BUT I don't have my pictures or elements program installed on the new laptop, that I love by the way but that I don't really understand. I haven't gone back to the Apple store to do file transfer and the "introduction to your new computer" class. Maybe next week. Maybe.

Back to the regularly scheduled program: In order to improve David's right heart activity, they are giving him a new medication -- nitrous oxide -- via inhalation. There seems to be an assumption that sooner or later the right side of his heart will catch up with the rest of his body, but for now, they are going to make it as easy as they can for that new heart. This is not a long term solution and I sense some tension and worry. Another bump in the road? Possibly.

We are having talks about giving yourself over to the care that you need. For me, it means letting people take time from their days to make us food or take care of Julia, but for David it means constantly accepting other people's help, expertise, and time. I don't think a person could go through this experience without feeling the profound need for community in this endeavor. The expertise being tapped right now seems much to much for one person -- as if, we are taking more than we can possibly give back. I am humbled.

And David needs another nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.