31 March 2010

Julia's behavior has been uneven and difficult this week. I attribute most of it to letting go of the stress of the last month. We have had three tantrums -- one with Marilyn last Thursday, a second one this weekend , and a whopper today triggered by our proposal to do errands, have lunch and go to the gardens. She was tough -- She was able to head but me on my nose. Oy, it hurt! We sat together, me holding her in our safe hold, for almost a half hour. She calmed down somewhat but refused to do anything slow her engine down, and then escalated again. That happened three times. She cried, she told me she was scared of going to town because she would get lost, she told me she wasn't going back to China. She cried harder than she has before -- mostly because of frustration.

We are without therapists for the next few days. I am hoping that we get a fill in or so, but if not I'm sure that we will lose some ground.

At the same time, Julia has been flirting with her eyes. This is hard behavior to describe. And she has done this before but not as much as she is doing right now. She will stare into someone eyes, and giggle and laugh. When she does it in the morning, she will flap her hands and move about. Julia was doing this last week with Lisa, and this week with David and I. The behavior has increased, and at first I was concerned because it looks strange. I honestly wondered if it pre-saged some sort of seizure, but now it feels like she is experiencing something new when she looks into our eyes. It is as if she if reading something in our eyes. I could imagine that there is something new going on behind her eyes, like she is making new neural pathways, like something long dormant is waking up. Maybe this last is nothing but a mother's wishes. Maybe.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Oh Suzanne,

How difficult for you all to have Julia's behaviour deteriorate at this time when David is recovering. It probably is all due to her allowing herself to relax after all the changes to her life while David was in hospital. Yet she proved then that she did have some control over her behaviour.

The biting and deliberately hurting you and others must somehow be curtailed. Can you use behaviour modification techniques to help her stop hurting others. Thinking about your little family.

Love,
Marianne