04 March 2010

Day2

Cheshire and I walked into David's room at 8:40. He was sitting up in bed chewing on ice. He is doing great. The breathing tube came out at about two in the morning after he woke up at about one. David has been up most of the night, dozing every so often but not for long. He said he had many short, intense dreams, and later, one of the nurses told us that strange thoughts and dreams are probably due to the pregnizone that he is taking through this IV. They have begun to step down on this and other drugs but David will be on lots and lots of drugs for awhile.

Every so often, people come in the room, to listen to his heart (I think the hospital made a general announcement that anyone with a stethescope should come and take a listen), checking vitals and drugs. David has already seen an OT and a PT and they have given his appropriate exercises. He must be careful not to push and pull, lift his hands over his head, or reach behind himself. All of these movement can slow the recovery of his sternum.

David has an incredible amount of tubes, monitors, wires, and other stuff coming out of arms, legs, his neck, and his chest. The chest is sore and breathing hurts, but those are his biggest complaints. He also can have and wants better jello. I am thinking I will make some at home and bring it tomorrow.

And he is talking about what movies he wants to see. (Nixon v. Frost?) And planning what we are going to do (in his room) this weekend. We will bring Julia up on Saturday after therapy. In truth, David looks good enough for her to come today, but he can use a few days to feel a bit less fragile.

Julia had a hard but quiet day yesterday. She did not want to do much at school. I think they made sure she was comfortable with books and coloring and let her be. She didn't eat a thing for lunch but did okay last night at dinner -- peanutbutter on bread, noodle soup and pizza. She was walked home by one of the aides who is kind and wondertul to Julia. Morgan and later Amy came over for therapy and then Morgan returned to put Julia to bed and stay with her until we came home. Julia asked Morgan about Daddy and his heart and the hospital and was satisfied with what Morgan told her. By the time I got to bed, Julia had crawled into our bed and was snuggled down under my quilt. When we woke up this morning, Julia asked me about David first thing. It was lovely. How was he? Did he have a new heart? Was he in the hospital? I got an email from school today and it sounds like Julia is doing well today. I expect she understood the relief in the house this morning.

When we went outside this morning,we could feel spring coming. Birds chirped and a breeze, not a wind, blew. Julia started talking about meling snow, growing flowers, butterflies, bees and sunflowers. She ended by saying, "When I am a famous artist, I will paint a picture of sun florwers that the bees will like." It touched my heart! Julia usually talks about not ever growing up, staying small. She also usually doesn't want to talk about doing anything, even drawing or painting for all of her life. It felt like she had made some leap.

Thank you dear readers, for reading, for commenting, for visiting and sitting for awhile. the support that we've received since David got the call has been unforgetable. I am rich with connection and love.

6 comments:

norie said...

it is all so wonderful to hear...

Traci said...

Sitting in Ohio, so far away, and yet so glad to be on this side of yesterday.

Praying for no rejection. You'll have to educate us when the time is right for you.

I'm a nurse but, obviously, I've never been a transplant nurse. Huge specialty area that I only know tidbits about.

Love you all!

Traci

Unknown said...

I hope and pray every day for your family.

As a heart recipient 2 yrs and 10 months ago, I know how this time feels. I know the thoughts, the sounds, the smells ...... and I know the EMOTIONS .... and there are and will be LOTS of those.

If I can be of help in any way, please let me know. I volunteer weekly at my transplant center speaking with the "in-house" patients.

There will be some side effects to the anti-rejection meds ..... the shakes/tremors being one of the most common.

Ask all the questions you might have.

I wish you well and God Bless!!!

Sara said...

So happy to hear that David is recovering...as well as can be expected. Crushed ice never tasted so good I bet :-) Maybe make him some heart-shaped finger jello...or Orange juice knox blox (any juice would work). Recipe is on the back of the Knox gelatin boxes.

Sounds like things are going well. Keeping him in my prayers.

How sweet of Julia to ask about him upon waking up..and I loved the "famous artist" comment from her. There is something so magical about her.

Adelaide Dupont said...

I think she saw something of how precious life, her life, is.

Rejecting a heart is a powerful metaphorical and literal thing, isn't it?

Steph said...

I've been following your blog for quite some time now. Just wanted to let you know that we are out here reading and learning from your thoughts and writing. You've mentioned that you really enjoy writing - I'm sure it's nice to know your audience enjoys it too. So glad to hear that things are moving forward as they should.