03 March 2010

Day 1

And so it begins.

The phone rang a bit before 5 this morning (What we have heard since is that his medical team got the calls at 4:30). David jumped up to get it; I waited in bed until I was sure what it was, but I knew what it was. There is a heart. We were told to get to the hospital as soon as we could. By 6 if possible. David jumped in the shower after shaving -- now, sitting in the hospital, David is showering again. Will he shower a third time before he is taking into surgery? I called two of our therapists and our lead came over. She lives about 20 minutes away and i think she was at the house 20 minutes after I called. Julia was happy to see her, shouting upstairs to me, "Mommy, mommy, Debbie is here!" I picked out clothes, Julia got dressed with no complaint at all. That kid is very good under pressure. I made her lunch and laid out her meds. I loaded a bag for myself and we were off.

We are less than 15 minutes to the hospital, and there was more traffic than I expected at 6 in the morning.

The hospital was quiet when we came in and nothing was fast enough. We walked through jello and spoke very slowly in an empty emergency room. We got our directions and moved upstairs to David's room.

And then it started.

Weight and height, blood pressure and pulse, and the questions. People are coming in and out, introducing themselves, asking the questions they need to and wishing luck. As the hours tick by, more people come in, have David sign forms after a few questions. The few questions that David answered for the last person and the person before but each person needs to hear it for themselves. These people are friendly, concerned, and considerate. Probably hospital cordiality but sincere. Or they are good at faking it.

I've talked to a few people on the phone. Cathy first after Cheshire. Barb texted me and I called her afterwards. Yes, I do have time and could have made all the phone calls myself, but oh so nice to have Cathy take care of it and not have to repeat the story over and over. And there is not much of a story right now to tell.

What we know is that the donor heart is not harvested yet. There is no other information that they will give us. There was mention that the harvesting team may have to wait until the lungs come out. This is all we know of our doner.

By the time I went downstairs to the cafateria for some breakfast, the halls and elevators were crowded and noisy. It was the noise of morning, getting to work, getting ready to do the work of the day. I stood in the cafeteria unable to pick food; the lady at the egg station told me to have a breakfast burrito. It was good but way too heavy. I am sure it will be with me most of the day. Oy!

I rode back upstairs in a crowded elevator with David's surgeon and his gaggle of an entourage. Small town, rock star status. Because the surgeon had stopped into David's room before I went for food, the doc recognized me and I was introduced and wished luck.

So now we sit alone. David has talked to Cheshire and to his Dad. Cheshire in bound for Madison; his father is worried. It is 10 already. David is due to go downstairs in another hour and a half. Maybe. The most we've heard is that they think it will be sooner rather than later.

Today is David's father's birthday. He is 91 today.

They call this Day One.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb texted me earlier this morning. Our Hearts and Prayers are with you all. I will call you latter today. Love You, Carol

Bettyboophume said...

Dave and i are so glad the heart has come. Please call me later with updates if you are able. How is everyone else handling this? We both keep David and you in our hearts.

Laura Briggs said...

You and David are in my thoughts with every breath. I am sending positive energy your way - the entire courthouse is doing the same. We hope you feel our caring and support.

Traci said...

Suzanne & David,

It's time. The tears haven't stopped. I don't know why. Fear? Love? Sadness for the donor family? I don't know but know that you're all loved so much! Prayers going up from OH. I called Scott, my church prayer list, and stopped to explain to the kids what is going on.

I expect David is in surgery by now. Praying for the surgeons, nurses, technicians, Cheshire's travel, Julia at home, Grandpa's birthday, and you.

Love to all of you!!

Traci, Scott, Valerie, Kevin, Yitong, & Jaden

P.S. Jade thinks Julia should just come over and play while David gets his new heart. :)

Robin said...

Holding you all close in my heart and thoughts.

- Robin from Israel

Julie said...

Grateful Traci mentioned this so we could be praying for all of you right now. Hoping this new heart brings David strength and vitality! Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers, as well as the donor's family. Wishing you peace in these days of watching and waiting.

Love,
Chris, Julie and Emma
(seems like forever since we all were meeting in China)

norie said...

oh boy...i have been thinking of you and your family each day of your wait for david's new heart...today i will doubly make sure to pray for you all as often as i think of it...

may god continue to bless you in more ways than you will ever know!

norie

Sara said...

Thinking and saying a prayer for all of you...esp David.

It will be so nice to have Cheshire there with you.

Jen said...

Suzanne, (David, Julia and Ches)
I have been out doing errands all day and just hopped on to check onmy blogs. Saw your post....tears flowed....dropped to my knees in prayer!!

I only know a fraction of how you are feeling right now. Meisyn's open heart surgery pales compares to this. Just know that David is being held in the palm of God's hands. He IS the Great Physican.

I will be anxious to hear......Praying for you all.

Linette said...

Praying for you.

Bobbi Jo said...

Thinking of you guys and hoping things are going well. Here's to a speedy recovery!!

Anita said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Anita - Traverse City, MI