13 March 2010

Saturday morning

Julia has therapy this morning at home and I am staying home to do a little bit of cleaning up in the house and my desk. Cheshire is at the hospital where she is still spending nights. Julia and I will go over at noon, have some lunch together, and maybe watch a movie. We can use the family time. Julia has been very concerned because she has not seen David since last Sunday. She patted his pillow on the bed this morning when she woke up and asked if she could see Daddy today.

My girl has such a heart. In fact, both of my girls have incredible heart. It is so amazing how the compassion in both of our daughters has grown and matured. We are a very lucky family.

I am tickled that I have a few heart related readers! Some are old friends, some are newer friends from a yahoo group, but I think a few, okay, maybe one, just found Spicy Dragons. Welcome all. Did I write this before?

One of the comments that I received included:

Right now is a MAJOR adjustment phase. The Dr's and nurses adjusting and tweaking meds and the patient physically and emotionally getting used to these adjustments. It can be an overwhelming, humbling and very emotional process.


This is a perfect description of our week. Overwhelmed, humbled, and emotional. And this is pretty intense for the caregiver as each tweak and adjustment brings change, and at least for me, each change of the "numbers" -- pulse, blood pressure, sugar, etc. -- is poured over and analyzed. I am very grateful that I was pushed to set up systems to support me. I am also very happy to have found the means to deliver news and updates in the way that I enjoy the most -- writing -- instead of talking on the phone to many, many people. I have a few calls each day to and from people who I can pour out my heart to and who fill me up with love and energy. It is just the right balance.

Listening to Julia play with her therapist this morning. She is playing school with her many, many dinosaurs. She is setting up a dino librarian who is reading to a class, and a field trip complete with a crate for lunch boxes and travel buddies for all the student dinos. One student dino hit another student and is sitting in time out and thinking about slowing down her engine. Wonder what went on in school this week?

3 comments:

chayadina said...

Suzanne,

We are coming late to this site but I was glad to learn about this blog. We're all thinking of all of you and sending our love and good healing wishes. We will include David in our Refuah Shlemah (complete healing) prayers at the synagogue. Would love to send a card, etc. Home or the hospital?
We can be reached at chayadina@yahoo.com. Take care and remember self care. Glad that both daughters are with you!

Carol Brumer Gliksman
Oak Park, IL

Sara said...

What wonderful daughters you have!!

Adelaide Dupont said...

Yes.

And you show and model compassion every hour of every day.

(Most of the time: we all of us make slips!)

Great to hear about Julia's game. It seemed very complex and involved. Probably the type of game I would have understood if I got in and played.