12 September 2009

For the next few days, David will be away in Kentucky as a Toll Fellow and Julia and I will be at home. We took David to the airport at 5 this morning. Julia woke up so very cheerfully. She is always up for an early morning -- still night, she says -- adventure. She was bright as a shiny penny by the time she climbed in the car with her cosy clothes (a sweat suit that I dread her outgrowing because it has pants!) and was filled with so many observations. As she waked outside, she exclaimed that the stars were beautiful and the moon was still up and the crickets were singing but very softly. Were they tired, mommy? And I marvel at the joys this child can find in the beginning of the day.


On our way to the airport, she observed the blinking red lights that we went through, the empty road, her school yard empty, the sun coming up on the eastern horizon. Is this child who celebrates the morning stars and the softness of a cricket's song, the soul of my child? It is so exciting to see her so clear and bright.


Of course, in case a reader has a golden vision of a joyous sprite, right now, Julia is arguing with her therapist about going outside. Oh, she can be so stubborn and closed off to any suggestion that does not come from her.

Julia has been talking about happy cars and sad cars, and now she is talking about colors the same way == connecting colors with feelings. I had done research about synsethesia for a story and wonder if Julia has a touch of this gift/burden, or whether it is her very active imagination.

On the food front, we are all doing pretty well on the GFCF diet. I made my old pasta and vegie dish last night with elbows made of rice. the taste was a bit bland but satisfying. Spices carry the day. The noodles were very fragile, however, and my rigorous mixing of the pasta and noodles in the big frying pan was a mistake. Next time, I'll mix them in a bowl and be much more gentle. Probably, not cooking the noodles as long is in order as well even though I timed the pasta according to the box.


This morning, after Julia and I woke up the second time (because we did go back to bed after taking David to the airport -- or at least I did, Julia watched a movie and played), I made bacon (turkey) and eggs with toast. For the first time, I used the soy spread and the rice bread that Julia has been eating for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Gosh, it was awful! A yellow foul tasting stain on cardboard. The rice bread looks more like bread that other kids bring to school but I think we'll go back to those dense, nutty loafs.

We did bake our first batch of GFCF chocolate chip cookies, and Julia loved them. I am no great cookie chef and I have to work on this a bit. I bought the ingredients for carrot muffins and I expect to have more immediate luck with those.

I found today that some of what I bought before this is not as GFCF as I thought. It is a learning experience to check every bit of fine print. Who knew GF flour mixes contained butter milk or hot dogs milk by products. So we are not completely GFCF, but was are getting closer.

_____


When do you start a memoir? Certainly, a writer cannot wait to see how the story, the life, turns out. But is there a certain point, a day, a moment when there is a path that can be seen forwards and backwards stretching in both directions? Is that the day?


Is this the day?


Of course, this came to me in the shower -- where else? Sitting in front of a blank screen, I can dawdle away the hours with little to show but the bare facts written in the most mundane style for a blog entry, but in the shower or on the treadmill (when I use the treadmill, and I can see Cheshire laughing), I become eloquent and could spin out enlightened and enlightening thoughts with three dollar words and mature musings.


In medias res. Well, that is certainly now.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Showers are good for ideas! They make me sing!

Yeah, a lot of people find delight in the early morning. Papa among them. Myself ... not so much, as it can be cold to get up. Maman loves to rest.

The happy cars and sad cars ... they remind me of The curious incident of the dog in the night-time (Christopher counted yellow and red cars and had super good days and bad days), and a book that came out ten years before that, Candice F Ransom's Who needs third grade?. The main character in the latter, Amber, used to count red cars in particular, because her father's car was red. (The mother and father were divorced, so she may have felt a bit of emotional discombulation, which was made worse by a new girl named Delight who had hair you could sit on!) She also had a strong relationship with her second-grade teacher which helped her through her problems. She and her best friend Mindy love to play with their stuffed creatures, and Delight has been to many countries, probably including China (or Japan). She certainly has been to France, because she has a bear named Robert. This might be a good read-aloud or a read-yourself.

I did get up at 6:00 last week, and listened to the birds. If there were crickets, they were very quiet. This is a contrast to the night, where there are machines and other such noises.

Hope David has a great trip in Kentucky. Would love to know what toll fellows do all day, and also about the in media res memoir - at the end of the blog. There is a woman called Lili Marlene who has synthaesia herself. Look for Incorrect Pleasures.

Also China Adoption Talk has an interesting link to Eden's Garden. Here is Eden's Garden