03 September 2009

Thursday

I don't know how long it will take for me to get bored with saying that Julia had a good morning. Maybe the entire school year? Well, she did. She is still voicing her "I don't want to go to school" at some point during the morning, but it lacks a certain conviction, and she is not screaming when she says it. Today, she did not want to get dressed upstairs before going down to turn on the TV. I let her, sending down clothes for her to put on while watching tv. Last year, even last spring, the clothes would have remained untouched until I came down to dress her, but by the time I was done with my shower and dressing, she was finished dressing. She also did not argue when I asked her to come upstairs to comb her hair.

Is this new clarity on her part? And the followup has to be, is it intensive therapy, is it the GFCF diet, it is Julia growing? I wish I could put an answer on this one. An answer for any of my millions of whys would be nice, but . . . yeah, I know.

This morning, we drove to school, I walked Julia to the playground, and helped her find her line to deposit her backpack, and then she told me I could leave. I asked for a kiss, got one, made sure that someone would corral Julia when the bell rang and left.

Wow. I was wondering if that would ever happen. Julia is feeling much more secure. I believe that her fear level is lower than its ever been with us.

I worked lunch the past two days at school and I also had my first PTO executive committee meeting yesterday. Lunch is handled in two shifts between 11 and noon. The first shift of kids comes to eat first and goes out for lunch recess after wards; the second shift does the opposite. There are two staff people to work lunch -- the principal and an aide. There is no way that two of them can handle lunch alone. Especially during the first day with kindergartners with deer in the headlight stares are completely lost. I worked inside, helping with set up, distribution of hot lunch, cleaning up, and getting ready for the next shift. No, I don't intend to do this all school year but I can't leave without knowing that there are sufficient helpers.

The executive meeting was interesting. I felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants, which I was. The six people who were there praised my "energy" and ideas but I know that there will be some backlash as I ask for changes. Right now, my goal is to push for changes but to also listen. When I am nervous, which I am doing this leading stuff, I get very nervous and miss things. This is where I must work the hardest. There is always an opposing view and I must hear it.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Okay, I'm caught up now! Wow, Suzanne, she's doing it. You must be so proud.

Love, Traci