22 September 2009

Rain, rain, stay awhile

The rain is coming down, hard and fast. We need it. We've have no rain for a long time. Weeks? We had some yesterday and it is predicted to rain through the weekend. The daytime temperature is holding at about 70. Maybe my backyard grass still has a chance. I planted 2-3 weeks ago and I've been pretty religious watering to keep the ground wet, and yet I get a few sparse, teasing blades here and there. The thick rich green I foresee coming in has not materialized.

I have also been neglecting my gardens. Funny, when I was much younger I would stop taking care of my hair when I was over stressed. It was long; I could pin it up. It was always clean, but I could go days without a comb. I have no idea what people thought. Now, it is my garden. An astute observer would know that this has been a rather tough time.

I love a good fall rainy day like this one. The house is dark, twilight all day. I need a light to read or even to see the keyboard. I am free until 2:30. I need to shop -- socks, a few new tee shirts for myself as my favorites are no longer black from too many washings. I can pick up my laptop today -- bad connections replaced. No where near too much money which might give me a chance to ditch my current laptop for an Mac notebook. I don't really mind.

Julia's behavior charts have been coming home pretty good, but I notice that there is a morning time called Calendar Time that she has consistently had a problem with. Hitting the aide and throwing things yesterday. I asked the aide this morning in the playground -- one of the perks of hanging around the school all the time is relationships with lots of people -- and she thinks that Julia is bored. She has no interest in counting days forwards or backwards, figuring out addition and subtraction problems of how many kids are eating school or home lunch, and what the date is. I am sure most of it goes over her head right now. Julia cannot sit bored for 10 minutes without getting into trouble. Now to think about a strategy to change that behavior.

I just turned around and saw a scorpion on the floor, and for less than a moment caught my breadth. Oh that kid, and her plastic bugs! Yes, just another toy. Do all girls play with plastic insects when they can't play with the real ones?

1 comment:

Jill W said...

Oh this rain is such a welcome site!

I just wanted to let you know about this video/book on autism. It could be a great tool for families or schools. I found the link on another blog that I follow: http://ourtwoeggrolls.blogspot.com/

I thought you might be interested.