21 September 2009

A new day, a new challenge

Trusting my gut on this one - that Julia is effected by the food that she eats, I want to get help. Medical help. Perhaps a DAN (Defeat Autism Now!) doc, but I'd like someone who could cover all the bases including giving Julia drugs like Ritalin if it is appropriate. So I call my family doc, who recommends that I check out an integrated medicine practice. I call them and the medical technitian explains that I can see "anyone," no one is exclusively for kids or for kids with autism. I ask if I can consult with someone before I bring Julia in and the answer is no. I ask what tests are done and they say they don't test. I say thank you and hang up.

I wrote to two DAN docs on a list and both emails came back as undeliverable. I found another practice to write to or call. I am hoping to find someone who I can just talk to before we commit. Wisconsin has a new insurance requirement that says that autism treatment must be covered. I am not sure what kind of medical treatment will be covered, but I don't want to just experiment on Julia. I don't want to just try a treatment and see what happens. That is what I've done with the diet and I wish I had someone to monitor it.

No comments: