04 September 2009

High Point Insurance -- A great company -- Not!

Just gotta' vent a little. Selling the house. The Buyers are gone, the oil tank was removed, holes were found, we are now in state controlled remediation, I made a third party liability claim under the home owners insurance, the insurance company says not to do any digging until they get out to the house to take borings on our property and now . . . . the insurance company is considering whether to cancel our insurance because the owner does not live there. When the insurance woman said this after I had explained the whole situation including that I thought we were going to close on the house today, I said in a dead pan voice as I could manage. "The owner is dead." She was very sorry for my loss but . . . . Anyone staying there, even a family member who is staying to keep someone in the house, is considered a renter, and insurance would want to start a new policy -- renter's insurance.

Insurance would feel better if the house was under contract, but now that our buyers have walked, it would need to be a new contract, and how can we write a new contract when we cannot say when closing will be because we cannot say when the remediation will take place because insurance has not given us the go ahead to get the work done until their people are out there.

I did almost lose it on the phone and then back tracked and apologized and explained the circumstances.

Ah, is this the free market economy that conservatives cry for? Is it all business? Clearly, this woman called me to find some way to cancel the house insurance that my mother and father have paid for since 1992 (when they changed to High Point Insurance) so that they will not have to cover a litigimate claim for oil tank clean up. Nothing personal, just an insurance company trying to save money for its investors. The insurance has been paid for and whatever it was happened on their watch -- There is no way the insured has any leverage at all. The lack of compassion is appalling, but I wonder if that is just my liberal heart crying and a fiscal conservative would just nod his head and say, 'of course.'

2 comments:

Traci said...

Love to hear your heart on matters. Even though we disagree it's great knowing how you feel about things.

Fight like a dog on this one. They are dead wrong.

Elaine said...

See I'm guessing that my fiscally conservative relatives would not just nod and smile AND they would find some way to blame it on the Prez.