09 September 2010

It is interesting, ever so interesting, when I see/hear/perceive that someone is getting along well with Julia. I adore this child and have since I met her, but it took me a long time -- months? A year? -- before I really got along with her.

Two things today: First. When I went into school to pick Julia up early so that we could go to attachment therapy before her at-home therapy, I met on of the aids (SEC) who help Julia in school. I saw this woman with Julia yesterday when I went to the playground dedication. She helped Julia find a place to sit with her class and then retreated to the back of the group. She put Julia in the front row. That was scary for me. Julia has never behaved well enough to sit alone (with other kids) or to be any where but the back of any group. As it turned out, Julia was absolutely fine. She picked her ear -- a new bad habit -- but she was not distracting or noisy.

But I wondered about the SEC who would just leave her, and I couldn't tell from her manner whether she was leaving Julia because she thought Julia could sit alone or leaving her because she, the SEC, just didn't want to be bothered. Okay, my protective mother radar was up really high.

Today, when I met her I could see instantly that she was happy to be working with Julia. She was helping Julia read a Lilly book (Kevin Hanke), and shook my hand sincerely when I came in. Julia clearly likes her and make a point of saying good-bye when we left.

I could let the mommy radar rest.

And then later this afternoon, Julia was working with one of the newer therapists. This young woman seemed very competent but I don't think she had really connected with Julia yet. I heard them being silly together, heard the therapists being at least as silly as my girl. Later, they played Velcro ball outside -- Julia is not fond of playing this game -- and Julia was praised every single time she caught the ball. I could hear a sort of melting together.

Good day for community.

Cheshire came home with a really black eye, but it is healing fast. Not fast enough to be gone by Saturday's wedding, but it will be quite improved by the time she leaves here. It is amazing what our bodies can do -- there is so much i want to learn about healing, more about the mind than the body, but certainly a bit of body work would be welcomed.

No comments: