18 September 2010

Saturday morning -- we slept in and our therapist's knock on the door woke us up. I had been listening late to a lecture and had a few PTO emails to get out before I went to bed last night. So, I stayed up too late and needed this sleep. Still, I am always a bit embarrassed to be woken up by someone who I should be expecting.

It is soggy and rainy today and Julia has 6 hours of therapy. I hope to clean upstairs, get clothes washed and put away for the week, and listen to yet another SW lecture. Because I started the course a week late, I have three 90 minutes to catch up on, and I am hoping to do all the catch up by the middle of next week. So, sometimes it takes more than one sitting to listen to a lecture, sometimes I can get through more than one.

Julia is obsessed with making books -- she has been making drawing books for a while now but now she is writing in the books, many times just strings of letters. She cuts and staples paper into the perfect size, depending upon who -- dinosaurs or squirrels -- are going to "read" the book. Then she draws pictures and writes on each page. This past week, she has been asking me to help her write words. I make the sounds and she writes the letters. She isn't always perfect, but generally I do not correct her. Because this is playing for her, I have not pushed her towards writing anything in particular and I am surprised and please to see that she is now going from strings of letters to words.

At my neighbor's house, Julia discovered a new computer game that is on a disney website. She will probably want to spend some time there today.

I'm lonely today and it is very hard to be in the moment. I was planning to take Julia to an Irish festival today but I don't expect that a plan like that will work. Maybe a movie. . . .

2 comments:

Snickerdoodle said...

I forgot to mention these stories to you.

Scaredy Squirrel
http://tinyurl.com/29jwywv

Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend
Scaredy Squirrel at Night
Scaredy Squirrel At the Beach

All by Melanie Watt.

This squirrel is a one-of-a-kind squirrel. Highly highly highly
recommended!

Because Julia likes squirrels, she might really enjoy these stories. Scaredy has a particular view of the world, where children can see that his life plans (leaving his tree to find a nut, for example) don't always go according to 'plan'. They are hilarious!
Best,
Snick :)

Suz said...

These sound great! Thanks, Snick. I will check them out.