04 September 2010

Some things just exhaust me. No good reason but they just do.

Today, Julia flooded the toilet because she used too much paper. She uses too much paper all the time and I am constantly reminding her to use less. She must have used almost a half of a roll today and sure enough there was a flood. She didn't call me until it was over the top -- interestingly, she was trying to "fix" it with the toilet brush. We were supposed to be leaving to go to a friends house for a play date/PTO work session. I got out the plunger and plunged with all my might, I made a flurry of calls to my friend and a plumber to make an emergency call. I also yelled at Julia and "punished" her by having her clean up the play room and living room of her toys.

Waiting for the plumber, I posted on facebook and my cousin from England suggested I try using an unbent hanger. It worked. And I cancelled the plumber. But still got all the toys cleaned up.

And reminded my girl that even though I am angry at her, I still love her forever. She still needs that reminder.

But now I could take a nap.

Is this normal?

4 comments:

Snickerdoodle said...

I completely understand about the plugged toilet. I hate those!!

How old is Julia now? 9? Could she take 9 sheets of paper? Have her count them off?

When my girls were independent toileting, I told them them could take their age in sheets. Never a plugged toilet again! When they were 4, they took 4. When they were 5, they took 5 and so on. Worked like a charm.

Might work. You could post a giant 9 over the toilet roll as a reminder. :)

Best,
Snick :)

Anonymous said...

after a few too many plugged toilets (with 4 girls in an old house) I am now prepared with a plunger, a short wire router from the hardware stored and a 25' router for the basement main.
we also quit flushing TP!
it is easier to tote a plastic bag of trash out daily than unclog that darned thing...
which is very, very draining in more ways than one!

Jules said...

We still have the too much TP problem, too. I must unclog at least a toliet each and every day with the 5 of them.

I think right now everything just seems like so much since it is all on you. But you are doing very, very well. Give yourself credit for dealing with this sort of thing. :)

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, I do understand I still clog our toilets every so often and Bill, does get mad at me. Tell Julia I sympathize with her and clog toilets still myself. For me there is no excuse I am 50 but for her she is only 9 she has a good excuss. I wonder if that would work for me. Love to both of you,Carol