16 December 2009

Oh yes, we watch movies! Sometimes I think many too many. Before we got cable (not that it helps all that much to find appropriate programming), our tv reception was awful. As a family, we have always watched movies -- a lot of movies together. New ones, old ones -- when Cheshire was very young, she thought that Shirley Temple was a contemporary! Well, maybe not, but she could have.

Movie time -- which can happen every night if all goes well -- is the best time of the day at our house. Sometimes it is not that long -- not even the length of a movie -- but the three of us cuddle on the couch (Cheshire, you gotta get home!). Julia loves to snuggle into David's side or with my legs curled around her. She likes plenty of blankets to be warm and then she like to talk during the entire movie!

It it a wonderful evening ritual.

Julia's art teacher caught me in the hall yesterday morning. I had talked to him during the first weeks of school about getting together but have never gotten back to him. Yesterday, he told me how talented Julia is. It was all nice to hear and I do appreciate it. One thing that he said, thought, struck a new chord. He told me that Julia was her own magnet school, and that if it was up to him, everything taught to her would be taught in terms of art work. I have been thinking that one year I would homeschool Julia -- not now, because she needs the socialization and professional skills that the school can provide way more than she needs my teaching -- and maybe this is a way to develope a curriculum for her.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Very cool idea about educating through art. She is very talented indeed!

Traci