26 December 2009

The woman in China

Tonight, as I was putting Julia to bed, Julia started talking about "the woman in China." She talked for a long time. I am not sure if she was imagining or remembering, but what she told me did not include dinosaurs or any other fantasy that she usually talks about. She told me that the woman in China told her that she did not belong in China. She belonged with her parents. The woman liked her and kissed her and said to get into the car. The woman was a teacher. The woman took care of her but told her to leave to go home. The woman said she had to leave China and go to Wisconsin (We lived in Indy when we went to China). The woman told her not to come back to China. The woman found our house and brought Julia there.

Julia then said that she was angry and scared and afraid. She did not act on those emotions. She asked me if I was happy that she was in Wisconsin. I told her yes, I was very happy. She asked me a few other questions, if I loved her, if she had to go back to China, and where her home was. She asked whether the woman was going to come for her. I told her over and over the I loved her, that she was home, and that she was safe.

Julia went back to talking about the woman in China, saying some of the same things she said before. Then, she turned over and went to sleep.

The day was not easy. Julia was resistant about everything. I don't know whether it is the side effect of the drug or just where she is right now.

No comments: