25 October 2009

Finally! It is going to be a sunny day today. Time to change the screens to storms and do some raking and cleaning of the garden.

Julia is very happy as a brown bat again this morning for the church parade. I had to take more pictures of her before raking. The leaves are just luscious -- and no one should ever let me buy property in the fall. Everything is lovely! We've had the wonderful gold yellow leaves of what ever tree it is filtering light all week. If I could bottle that light, I would make the world happy all year. Now, those leaves are above our heads and below our feet and in another week they will be gone. The sense of being in the moment is so intense and the master teachers are so present. Learning in the moment continues.

Later, I went to Julia's church class today because I was the snack parent -- bringing bananas, rice cakes, and peanutbutter which was not really appreciated. I think this is a much more sugared class. Or just kids hoping for sugar snacks. But back to task, I sat through the class and almost jumped out of my skin. BORING! OMG, this is what I am expecting Julia to have good behavior during? When I asked Erin, Julia's aide during the class, if all of the classes were like this, she said, "The other kids are bored too." This is a very nice young woman.

Oh, how disappointing this is. Last year, when I was part of the teaching team, we really worked hard to make out lessons interesting and very child friendly. We didn't succeed all the time, but it was inspiring to work with the team because each one of us was working hard. And I know, it is a matter of luck as to what class a kid goes to and what the volunteer teacher does. BUT, but, but this is supposed to be a great year. The theme of the year is holidays and holydays, and the kids are supposed to explore the feast days of many religions. Granted there was no holiday for today and the task was to teach about the first two principles of UUism. The teacher had her small class sitting for almost 45 minutes as she read and lectured. These kids are in second and third grade. The class would have been boring to . . . . okay, enough complaining. I wonder what I can do. Is this a chance for Julia to learn about boring lectures? I don't know how much she learns about UUism from any class but she will learning nothing here.

Okay, more complaining. The first two principles are about compassion and doing unto others. The teacher read what the teacher's guide said about these principles and then asked for examples. One of the kids brought up dealing with a kid who kicks you during a socer game. This is was not a bad example and it was talked through, but it seemed like the only one that the teacher thought was valuable. As a grownup guest, I brought up when a person who has had an awful day does something to hurt and that a question or a kind word could help change that person's day. The kids thought of a few examples of that and then the teacher went back to sports! Isn't that the easiest place to turn the other cheek. I mean, a kick while you are in a swim meet is usually accidental. That is not hard to forgive. At least, for me.

Funny, that the workshop leader from yesterday was giving a sermon about making lessons accessible for all children today in the pulpit. Where does boring fit into multiple intelligence, and different learners fit into boring?

Franklin School has spoiled me. (not to mention so much of Cheshire's education) I expect excellence and hard work from teachers. Getting off my high horse, it is sobering to see someone teach badly. I am sure many kids experience that every day at school. We are so fortunate to have such dedicated, kind, caring and smart teachers. People who try to understand and extend themselves further when the going gets tough. Stacy, the friend I visited yesterday, was telling me about her IEP meeting. She said she did a lot of nodding and saying yes, and she was shocked that they were giving B more than she was even going to ask for. That has been our experience as well. And that is why it is so worth it to me to work so hard for PTO and our snack group. I do nothing more than I see done for my child.

David and I put up storm windows this afternoon while Julia was in therapy. Some times it is so hard for us to work together! We tussle like silly kids. We did get it done and the house is cosy tonight. I have to make a few sand-filled snakes to go by doors. We've needed them and I haven't found anything that I like. But we have sand and after the bat costume, I am itching to sew more.

And Julia now wants Barbie dolls. She has been playing with her prize Hannah Montana and yesterday, one of our therapists brought over her Barbies and the two of them played. We'll see if she is still interested by Christmas time. And just maybe, it will mean some doll clothes for me to sew.

I did more garden cleaning in the yard today. Oh, I have been such a lousy gardener this year. The garden is forgiving, however, and I am very grateful. I still have more to do and I ordered spring bulbs that should be coming in another week or so. I will try to redeem myself next spring and summer. I have not found garden divas here, and I don't know whether leaving the garden to itself this year was an invitation for them to move in or a show of neglect. As I prune, pull, and dig up, I whisper to them. Come sweet little beings and make this a magical place.

I have to post more bat pictures! That kid is so darn cute.

2 comments:

C said...

Parenting some interesting initials myself. Just stumbling through!

Adelaide Dupont said...

I don't know that I would have much appreciated peanut butter at a gathering like that. (The allergies: though I don't have them, there are friends and other people. And also peanut butter is an 'at home' thing). Bananas, on the other hand, would have been terrific. Egg flips and smoothies are great, and so are bananas in curried sausage.

Sugar power ...

Principles of Unitarian Universalism (the first 2). 'All are one' and 'Don't hurt anybody'. They 'freely and responsibly search for truth and meaning'. They are similar to the ones that Jesus taught: 'Love your neighbour' and 'Love Jesus'. (They respect Humanism and earth-based spiritualities. Two ticks in my book. And they follow Protestanism but are 'post-Christian').

Actually the big ones are worth, dignity, justice, equity and compassion. Which seems like a sensible scheme of human development on which you can build a religious rock on.

Great to see that Erin is nice.