28 October 2009

"Would you want Rosa Parks to melt?" A faithful commenter asked after yesterday's post. Here is the inside of the onion, the pit of a peach, the core of parenting. I thought of this often as Cheshire grew up, and learned so many times that leaving as much of her native sense intact was the best parenting that I could do. I am less concerned about that this time around -- Julia is not so easily influenced. I am grateful that she is learning to depend on us and turns to us for praise and blame, but I am still making her inner mommy.

My Spicy Dragon has so much to learn and grow into. It is my job to keep her Rosa Parks safe and nurtured, but I don't think that I have to worry that it will melt away. Julia is her mighty self and she will someday call upon this to do good things and go wonderful places.

Another subplot of our lives creeping to center stage is that David will soon be listed to receive a heart transplant. Although he has been living with a heart condition for a few years and we knew that eventually a heart transplant might be in his future, we found out only 6 weeks ago that the future was now.

1 comment:

jweich said...

Oh Suzanne, I am so sorry to hear that David needs a heart transplant. I did not know he had heart issues. I believe that all of us open heart surgery patients belong to a special club and now David will be a new member. Just having my aortic valve replaced was interesting -- I cannot imagine having a heart transplant. I always said that my surgery was much harder on David than it was on me so if you ever need to talk . . . to me or to David, please don't hesitate to call us. Please tell David that my "fixed" heart goes out to him and I know all will go well for him.