19 October 2009

Monday

Julia had a tough day today. I have no idea how many times I write that in contrast to the great day posts. Maybe at some point I will go back and chart my unscientific reports.

The day started with an attempt to take out an extra tooth that is lodged over one of her front teeth. We visited an oral surgeon who does not specialize in kids' work and he tried to treat Julia as he would have treated me. She gave her nitrous oxide to relax her and then announced that he was going to give her only one shot. At that point no amount of nitrous oxide would relax her enough to take that shot. She was scared and she refused. The oral surgeon decided not to go on today and to remove her extra tooth in the hospital as an outpatient.

We need preapprove from our insurance for that, and so, it will be weeks before it gets done.

I bought Julia to school after the visit to the dentist, and she did not have a good day there. Lots of noise, crumbling of papers, refusal to do work.

No explanation offered, but when I asked her about it, she told me everything.

She was distracted during OT today. Annie gave us some exercises with a big ball that I will get the line therapists to do with her. Julia also met a new speech therapists. Kara worked with Julia and asked her questions. Julia did two pieces of work that were a step forward. She did an exercise sheet where she had to cut out petals and then matched them to the question on a flower. She was able to sustain the entire exercise and she knew what she was doing.

She also played a dot game -- jumping from one colored dot to another in a pattern that Annie has written on a piece of paper.

1 comment:

Snickerdoodle said...

Might she have had some kind of reaction to the n. oxide at the dentist? Possible.

Seems to me that she has way more positive days, these days, than not-so-positive days...

Best,
Snick :)