27 October 2009

Frost

Yesterday afternoon, Julia found a spider web in the corner of our living room. This has been a big spider year -- I think the dry weather in September has a lot to do with the numbers of spiders available to slip into a house and establish a healthy web in some unkempt corner, that is, our living room.

What Julia found was a spider who had caught a ladybug in the web. She observed it several times yesterday afternoon and evening. I realized that what I know about spiders is mainly from cartoons! From what we could see, the ladybug struggled to get out, the spider wrapped the ladybug in web filament and then waited for the ladybug to die. Some of this is supposition. This morning the spider was still there but the ladybug was gone. I promised Julia to check the floor when I do my cleaning this morning.

Oooo, it is chilly. We had to scrape frost off the car this morning. It is getting onto the end of October. Julia ran outside without a coat to see what I was doing. She retreated quickly and put on her winter jacket, her hat, her hood, and her gloves. This girl is learning about Wisconsin winters.

This morning I heard Julia ask David a question, she was cooperative about getting dressed, having breakfast and using our new Sonicare toothbrush -- something we've all have to get use to and I am pleased the Julia can handle the tickling and the buzzing sound. It was all easy to get to school and she walked blithely in with my promise to pick her up after school. It is better than last year, and the resistance that I fear so much in her is melting a little bit. Good to recognize that today.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I know quite a bit about spiders, mostly from real life!

Most of them are non-poisonous and some of them have spindly legs, but we have had some big ones come into our house in the past.

We let them out to be free and put them in a box to be put back outside.

There was a spider crawling near the calendar in my study.

I couldn't handle the tickling and buzzing, even as an adult.

Love the images of frost and melting.

Would you have wanted Rosa Parks to melt?