15 January 2010

Day before Julia's birthday

Today is the day before Julia's ninth birthday -- at least the day we celebrate her growing another year. I think of her birth family as we shop for party supplies -- Julia is going to have a Tinker Bell party. The three little girls we've invited to come over are almost as excited to come as Julia is to have a party. And it will be simple -- a few games, playing with her toys which is what she is really looking forward to, and cake (although we've changed it from carrot to vanilla) and opening presents. I think that will take up the two hours.

I think of her birth family and wonder if there is a mother who thinks of her. I know that her birth date, even with the note that she was supposedly found with that gives tomorrow as the date, may or may not be real, and so maybe it is in Julia or October that her birth mother, or father, or granpa looks at the stars and wonders what happen to the little girl that they left. I wonder if there are challenges in the family, the kind that we have with Julia, or if they could possibly know how far she needs to come to heal from her years in China. I wonder if they could possibly know how much her life, her accomplishments, her growth are cherished and celebrated by the parents that raise her now.

When we first approached adoption, I thought that I could never share a child with another set of parents, but as Julia grows, I would give the world to connect with the people whose gene pool she shares. I cannot imagine my life without her and I am so sorry that they have to live without even a word about her. So I send them my love, and my thanks, and the thought that their girl, our girl is growing.

6 comments:

Jill W said...

Happy Birthday, Julia!

I have those same thoughts about both of our girls' birth parents, as well as Macie's foster parents. If we could only tell them what a gift they have given us!

Jen said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Julia!!!

Suz, I have tears in my eyes as I feel the same things you are!!!! Our girls bring us all such JOY!!!

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
You have me here crying after reading your post. You have a beautiful celebration planned.
Tammi

Adelaide Dupont said...

Had meant to say something on the day.

Vanilla cake is an awesome thing, and the three excited girls.

I hope you do connect more with Chinese culture and people in 2010, as indeed you have done over the past 5 years.

The year of the Metal Tiger is some way away (Valentine's Day on the Western holiday calendar).

By the way, loved the 3-dimensional dinosaurs (and your scrapbook execution). Read a most interesting book called Remarkable Creatures, and got infuriated with some of the characters who didn't know about ichytosaurs and pleisosaurs, but thought they were crocodiles. (Granted, it was before Darwin and evolution became widely known. There was a French geologist/palentologist in the story).

Sara said...

Happy Birthday Julia!!

Suzanne, you always have all the details down when planning a party....I'm sure it will be perfect :-)

We think those thoughts too regarding Quinn's birth parents. His foster family..who he refers to as his China Grandma and China Grandpa are the sweetest couple. He was with them since birth. He calls them his "China Family" His "grandparents" have a daughter who he calls Ayi(Auntie), and she has one son, who he refers to as his big brother(guh guh). They are so special to us...we don't even say foster family, as Quinn tells us "they took me as baby until you come get me." They loved him very much. What a gift.

Snickerdoodle said...

Your words brought tears to my eyes.

Happy Birthday Julia!!

Best,
Snick :)